Find the answer to your Linux question:
My name is markieb I'm a new user of linux.I'm running ubuntu 10.4 on my desktop but I can't connect to the internet .I'm using mobile broadband vodafone vmc lite ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Smile can't connect to the internet

My name is markieb I'm a new user of linux.I'm running ubuntu 10.4 on my desktop but I can't connect to the internet .I'm using mobile broadband vodafone vmc lite which is a huawei modem.The disc icon is on the screen and the auto run software is there but when I try to run it ,it says error can't find autorun and cant find media/my dischelper. exe.zip period.If anyone can help me I'm new to ubuntu and linux in general .I'm writing this on a different computer by the way,any help would be very much appreciated.

Never used one of these, but I believe it should work out of the box. You just need to go into the networkmanager to set it up.

Gordon's Blog: Setting up Huwei 3G Vodafone Dongle on Ubuntu 9.10

Linux Newbie
    ubuntu i know some drivers are propriatery and you will have to activate it in the system>Preferences>hardware menu.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Cool ubuntu newbie

This is markieb,Thanks for the replies I still can't figure this out.The icon comes up for the disc with two different modems 3G and vodafone when i try to run it it still says cant find auto run and cant find disc period.Am I even running files right? I've reconnected it edited connections is there any way to programme it to recognize modems or to insert autorun files at source?also is there a command to run software that's already installed?I"m only using this system a couple of days (if you couldn't tell).I'll check back later any advice is appreciated,thanks

Linux Guru
    I think you need to be more specific about the problem and exactly what you are doing.

Did you read the link posted by reed9?

What do you mean when you say "I try to run it", run what?

t says error can't find autorun and cant find media/my dischelper. exe.zip period
    Are you trying to run a file named "dischelper.exe"? That is a windows file and will only work on windows.

What do you mean by "the autorun software is there"? Do you have some type of installation/driver disc that came with the modem?

What exactly happens when you try to use the Network Manager?
    You will probably get more help if you post more detailed info, there are many Ubuntu users on the forum, myself not included.

Just Joined!

huwaei modem software

Quote Originally Posted by markieb View Post
    This is markieb,Thanks for the replies I still can't figure this out.The icon comes up for the disc with two different modems 3G and vodafone when i try to run it it still says cant find auto run and cant find disc period.Am I even running files right? I've reconnected it edited connections is there any way to programme it to recognize modems or to insert autorun files at source?also is there a command to run software that's already installed?I"m only using this system a couple of days (if you couldn't tell).I'll check back later any advice is appreciated,thanks
    The disk you are trying to run is useless under a linux system. If you can open a terminl and post the output of
    Code:
    lspci | grep -i net
    someone may be able to buy a clue!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by markieb View Post
    My name is markieb I'm a new user of linux.I'm running ubuntu 10.4 on my desktop but I can't connect to the internet .I'm using mobile broadband vodafone vmc lite which is a huawei modem.The disc icon is on the screen and the auto run software is there but when I try to run it ,it says error can't find autorun and cant find media/my dischelper. exe.zip period.If anyone can help me I'm new to ubuntu and linux in general .I'm writing this on a different computer by the way,any help would be very much appreciated.
    I had the same problem and rebooted the computer with the modem plugged in.