Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Ripping does just fine by me. is there a way I can mount the device in order to rip an audio cd?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ripping does just fine by me. is there a way I can mount the device in order to rip an audio cd?

As I wrote you can't but you also don't need to. CD ripping software just needs the device file to read from.
    When you have a modern desktop environment like Gnome or KDE with compiled-in audio CD support your file manager does the ripping for which actually looks like if the CD were mounted but actually it isn't.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Manko10 View Post
    As I wrote you can't but you also don't need to. CD ripping software just needs the device file to read from.
    When you have a modern desktop environment like Gnome or KDE with compiled-in audio CD support your file manager does the ripping for which actually looks like if the CD were mounted but actually it isn't.
    I kinda figured that would be the solution. I was hoping to keep the window manager lightweight as this specific system is a down-right beast with an AMD Athlon 4, 20GB HDD and wait for it.... 256MB RAM! Look out!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Then use a ripping software.

I was hoping to keep the window manager lightweight
    You could try a command-line utility like cdparanoia. Also there's a lightweight gui one called ripperx.
    ciao,
    jdk

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jdkaye View Post
    You could try a command-line utility like cdparanoia. Also there's a lightweight gui one called ripperx.
    ciao,
    jdk
    I'll give those a go, cheers!

You can also use mplayer on the command line to play cd's or specific tracks without ripping.
    Here'sl how to do it.
    jdk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2