Find the answer to your Linux question:
I built a system with 2 sata hard drives. I installed Vista Home Premium on the 500 GB hard drive that I boot my machine from and on the other ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Issue with GRUB list

I built a system with 2 sata hard drives. I installed Vista Home Premium on the 500 GB hard drive that I boot my machine from and on the other 160 GB hard drive I boot Linux up from. This worked perfectly it allowed me to change boot sequence when I wanted to change what OS I had to work with.

Then I updated 9.10 to 10.4 using the update manager. But when I changed my boot sequence to the hard drive with vista I now get a grub list asking me to select Ubuntu or Vista.

How can I change it back to the way it was with no trace of Linux on the hard drive I specifically set aside for Vista.

Any help would be appreciated .

You might try physically disconnecting the Vista drive before you install 10.04, that way grub will not see the other drive when it is installed. After installing ubuntu, reconnect the Vista drive, and you should be back to the way you were before.

Ubuntu upgrade has installed GRUB in MBR of Vista Hard disk. Follow instructions from here and remove GRUB from MBR.

You have to re-install GRUB in Linux Hard disk. Boot up from Ubuntu LiveCD, and execute sudo fdisk -l command to check device name assigned to / partition of Ubuntu. Let say, /dev/sdXY is / partition of Ubuntu.
    Execute this in Terminal to re-install GRUB :
    Code:
    sudo mount /dev/sdXY /mnt
    sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sdX
    sudo umount /mnt
    Reboot machine.

I would suggest you add an entry of Windows OS in GRUB instead of changing Boot Sequence on each boot up. Both disks will remain intact and independent of each other.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First