Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a PC running vista. It has lots of files and viruses. I was wondering if I had to restore my pc to get rid of the files and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installation question

I have a PC running vista. It has lots of files and viruses. I was wondering if I had to restore my pc to get rid of the files and viruses or if i can just download linux and that would get rid of it. Thanks for all answers!

Welcome!

If you let Linux install to use the whole drive it will erase everything, Windows with viruses will be gone.

Just Joined!
    Thank you so much! you have put me at ease.

Welcome to the LinuxForums !

I would suggest you to dual boot for a while because Linux is a steep learning curve. You should keep both OSes for a while. It's easy to remove any OS any time.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Linux Newbie
    i would suggest Microsoft security essentials to remove those viruses it is free and lightweight i use it on my gaming machines. If the virus scanner doesnt fix your problem i would suggesting reinstalling windows im sure you have a restore cd that game with the computer when you bought it and if you decide to go this route make sure you install MSSE so you have less change of getting a virus. (the reason i say "LESS" because you also have to be smart at downloading stuff.

I would also recommend what devils casper said to dual boot. Especially if you play a lot of games.

Save Windows for gaming and use Linux for all your regular internet browsing and email. You'll pick up a lot fewer viruses and worms that way.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"

Lots of advise without asking, we do not know, maybe cann has ten Windows computers and he/she just decided to put Linux in eleventh?

Quote Originally Posted by cann View Post
    I have a PC running vista. It has lots of files and viruses. I was wondering if I had to restore my pc to get rid of the files and viruses or if i can just download linux and that would get rid of it. Thanks for all answers!
    Hello and Welcome.
    Linux will not get rid of anything, you can erase/remove Windows by using Linux installer to install Linux, if you want to keep Windows you might want to try dual boot as mentioned previously. If you do keep Windows, fix that first. Use the restore CD if you need to but fix it first. Then install Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
    Lots of advise without asking, we do not know, maybe cann has ten Windows computers and he/she just decided to put Linux in eleventh?
    This is true but cann did say
    Quote Originally Posted by cann View Post
    Thanks for all answers!
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Segfault
    Linux is a steep learning curve and we recommend most of users to go for dual boot before they learn a few in and outs of Linux.

I know most of us given advise without asking for it but I think, it worth to give this advise to every new Linux user even if they are not asking for it. But if new user opt for Linux only system and couldn't configure Wireless or Graphics Card?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First