Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, For the past five days, since I joined this forum, I'be been "hanging out" in the Coffee Lounge as a Newbie, introducing myself and I guess generally making ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Banshee doesn't play all Media Formats

Hi all,

For the past five days, since I joined this forum, I'be been "hanging out" in the Coffee Lounge as a Newbie, introducing myself and I guess generally making a pain in the rear of myself. Some of you might even have chatted with me there. After installing and gradually becoming familiar with OpenSUSE v11.2 [Gnome], I've been casually trying to get acquainted with the Bash shell and its commands. However, for this problem I thought it would be more appropriate to log in here, since this issue is a bit more serious. Accordingly, I'm afraid that I must once again prevail upon the helpful, patient, knowledgeable Linux users in this forum for assistance.

As a retiree and a doting grandfather, I enjoy the luxury and time to take numerous videos of my children and grandchildren, and one of the features to which I've become spoiled in Windows is the ability to play a wide variety of video formats. Unfortunately, "out of the box", Banshee appears to refuse to play any of them. Somehow, using YaST, I was able to get online flash video to work by downloading and installing recommended packages, and it worked the first time after re-booting my system! However, I'm not having as much luck with installing video codecs that I apparently need to play my own video files. I wish these codecs had come pre-installed on the OpenSUSE disc that I burned, but you can't always get what you want. [Wasn't that the title of a 60's or 70's Rolling Stones song?]

I guess where I need help, specifically, is in determing where to get and how to install the best free video player and a comprehensive codec package that will work reliably in OpenSUSE. Would some kind soul out there be able to take me by the hand and show me, step by step, exactly what I must do to achieve this goal? I was hoping to be able to use the automatic package installer, but when I tried it, I noticed diagnostics informing me that I lacked certain dependencies, and that I should install manually, which I assume requires using the command line. I have no objection to trying this, if someone would be kind enough to show me exactly how. I really would like to be able to watch my grandchildren playing without having to depend upon one of my Windows systems.

YOU REALLY CAN TEACH AN OLD DOG NEW TRICKS, BUT IT JUST TAKES A LITTLE LONGER ) )

Your Eternally and Humbly Grateful Newbie,
    Bob

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    VLC is a good player that comes with a wide variety of codecs. You can get it from their site (VideoLAN - VLC media player for openSUSE) which also tells you how to configure YAST so as to install it.

I have never used it but the "one click" (didn't Amazon patent that?) may be the easiest.

Enjoy your videos
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    What format are your home videos in? I know that a number of consumer video cameras default to Apple's Quicktime (.MOV) which will run with Linux players, but may need some configuration tweaking to get to run smoothly. I run everything on my Linux workstation without problems myself, from Flash videos to Windows Media formats (.wmv, .asf, .avi, et al) to raw mp4 files, etc.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

I agree with elija ! VLC Player supports most of the media codecs. You should try VLC player first.

*Moderator's Note : Assign meaningful title to your threads. Vague thread titles don't give any idea about problem and members ignore such threads most of the time.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First