Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
I think we're on the right track here... I'm posting from Fedora and GNOME... played with the settings... 'Add to Panel'... 'Window List' That should get it going!...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I think we're on the right track here...
    I'm posting from Fedora and GNOME... played with the settings...
    'Add to Panel'... 'Window List'

That should get it going!
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Nope, there's definitely no 'window list' option in my menu - I assume it's probably due to error during install, especially as I get the recurring 'crash' message.

Not a major problem anyhow, as I shall probably end up changing to another distro (probably several times )

Are you checking Panel Right-click Menu or a list of Applets that appear on clicking Add to Panel option?

Does Add to Panel option list any Applet at all?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Just to be clear, here are a few screen shots which should apply to all distributions running Gnome

1. Right click on empty area of the bar and select "Add to panel"

2. Search for "window list"

3. Select window list and click add

You should then see the list of buttons appear in the panel
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Great shots there elija.
    That's exactly what I'm looking at now.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the shots! I didn't even have the applet in my menu, so it must have been an error.
    I'm trying out an old copy of CentOS now, which seems to be working a bit better!!

Just Joined!

Possible hardware problem?

OK, so as I mentioned before, the original Fedora 13 install flashed up an error/crash message every time I tried to use or edit the 'bottom' panel (which didn't contain all the applets it should have). I don't recall the exact wording, but it was something to do with the Bonobo library.

I then installed an old copy of CentOS (5.2, I think) that I had laying around on disc, which worked perfectly to begin with, then when I rebooted I completely lost the bottom panel, along with the desk-top, and the whole of Nautilus. When I asked for more info, the messages again mentioned Bonobo, this time recommending that I 'kill the activation server then restart nautilus'... did I mention that I'm clueless about anything script-related? Oh, and I did try googling for info, but most of it went over my head

Leaving out the in-between story of me trying 2 other distros which turned out to be corrupted somehow (not relevant, but it really didn't help my mood!), I'm wondering if the above means that there's a problem with my hardware somewhere? I know both distros are RedHat-derived, but the fact that there was around 18 months' difference between the releases made me think it probably wasn't just a bug in the OS?

Anyway, being too impatient to wait for a liveCD to come in the post, I'm now temporarily using (an even older copy of) Ubuntu Ibex (which is a wee bit too big for my laptop) until I decide which distro I want to actually pay for

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    First question: did you do anything before rebooting?

To kill bonobo, you open a terminal and type "ps -A | grep bonobo" (without the quotes) and press enter. This will show you any running processes with bonobo as part of it's name.

The first column is a number. Type "kill {number}" again without the quotes and press enter.

Then type "killall nautilus" once again without the quotes and press enter
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    I did nothing before re-booting, other than download an update for Firefox?

Many thanks for the command line hints though, I'll remember those if it happens again! It was kinda frustrating, as I managed to find out exactly where the Bonobo files were, and which processes were using them, but just couldn't stop them using the GUI.

I am determined to actually learn how to properly 'use' Linux the correct way i.e. through terminals rather than just clicking on icons... unfortunately though I still need a reliable 'desktop' to fall back on!

Just Joined!

Problem solved (almost)!

Well, it seems I didn't google thoroughly enough yesterday, as I've now found out that it's my System clock that's causing Bonobo to malfunction and screw up various Gnome features. This would explain why the original Fedora install had missing applets and behaved strangely, and also why the other distros failed to work properly

I did change the time/date settings before, only for it to continue defaulting to 1909 every time I switched on - I think I've nailed it now though, as I've rebooted after altering it, and nothing seems amiss. There may still be a problem with the actual hardware I guess, but at least I know how to temporarily fix it.

Many thanks again for all the help & suggestions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2