Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi! Apologies for the dumb question (but this is the noob section)... I've just started using Fedora, as it was already installed on a laptop I've just got, and most ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Red face [SOLVED] Minimise/restore

Hi! Apologies for the dumb question (but this is the noob section)...

I've just started using Fedora, as it was already installed on a laptop I've just got, and most of the GUI's making sense, except that when I minimise a browser window it seems to totally vanish & I can't restore it. I'm sure I'm missing something very obvious here, but there's nothing in the desktop settings that refers to it, and I'm having to re-launch the brower every time.

Thanks!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Are you sure you are minimizing it, and not just closing it? Which button did you use? Also, you have access to 2 or more virtual screens. It may be on one of the others so you don't see a tab for it in the docking/menu bar. Also, which desktop manager are you using? KDE (most common w/ Fedora), Gnome, XFCE, other?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Yep, I'm using the left-hand button (the 'minus' sign), and there's a faint outline trace which shrinks down to the bottom-right of the screen. I wasn't aware of there being 'virtual screens' - I'm guessing these are seperate workspaces/desktops? I'm pretty sure I'm only using one at the moment!

I'm using Gnome - I have scoured the 'Settings' menu, but can't see anything that relates to it. As an absolute beginner, I'm in no position to start studying script either, sorry!

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Try right clicking on the panel (a blank bit) and select "Add to panel"

Search for "Window List" and click Add
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Gnome generally has two bars, one at the top, and the other at the bottom. The bottom bar is where the icons are when an application starts. However, it is possible to disable the bottom bar, leaving you with no access to the running applications when they have been minimized, other than reinstalling the bar. I'm running Gnome on my Ubuntu laptop right now so I will report back on the best way to do what you need as soon as I finish backing the system disc up, in case I fubar it during my experimentation!

Just Joined!
    OK, my lower bar is still active (I have the 'log-off' and 'shut-down' icons in there), but no application icons. There's no option to add 'window list' or anything similar either, only icons to actually launch the applications again.

Also, whenever I change the lower bar, I get an 'crash' warning appearing on the screen, not sure if it's significant or not, though. I've got a screenshot with all the details on, but can't post any images up here yet.

Open a terminal, execute
    rm -rf /.gnome
    This will have the side affect of knocking out your customizations.
    Logout and log back in... you should have a pristine panel.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Actually, it should be
    Code:
    rm -rf ~/.gnome

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Actually, it should be
    Code:
    rm -rf ~/.gnome
    CRAP!!

Gotta love a typo!

You're spot on, though... good eye, Rubberman!
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Is it a problem with Web Browser only? Do minimized Icons for other packages/folder appear on Panel?
    Have you tried this :
    Right click on Panel's empty space, select Add Applet and select Windows List or something related to Taskbar from Applets list?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast