Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Please Help a noob

Hey linuxforums! im a newbie around here and to linux. i have a nice laptop for my personal use. im looking towards running linux on the family computer. its a HP 720n
    pretty bare except i have an ATI graphics card in it. it is piss slow! extremely slow! its about 7 years old and bogged down and xp gets virus after freaking virus! i was looking at the Ubuntu Linux 7 which looks alot like windows 7. i want to install it on the HP computer. i have an external hard drive (4T of space so im good) and am going to transfer all the programs and such from the HP. I have a few designs programs such as Solidworks and Mastercam, will linux 7 be able to run theese programs? also is it as simple as creating an iso cd and putting it into the drive and wahbam windows is erased linux is installed? im a total noob sorry for the long and many question. thanks in advance!

-Don

Hello and Welcome
    Your machine should run fine as long as you have more than 256 MB RAM. Most Windows software will not work under Linux, you might be able to run it with some help from WINE/Cedega or you might find an alternative on this link.
    The Linux Alternative Project - linuxalt.com
    Here is another link that explains how to burn an ISO, among a few other things.
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...ead-first.html
    In short, yes, you burn the ISO to disk, reboot the machine and make sure the CD/DVD boots first, then run the installer. You can keep Windows and you probably should keep it until you are familiar with Linux.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

when you say "keep windows" does this mean that two OS's will be running? when i install Linux does it just simply over-ride the OS from booting and simply just run linux? if i dont like linux i can simply un-install linux and be good 2 go with windows?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I am unclear on which version of linux you are talking about. Karoshi linux, also known as Ubunto 10.04 linux 7 is a server based linux for schools to manage local networks. Your best bet would be to go to distrowatch.com and select several versions of linux from the top 100 to try. Burn an ISO of the ones you want to try, and use them as a live cd to determine which ones you like, and which ones work well with your system.

Quote Originally Posted by donH View Post
    when you say "keep windows" does this mean that two OS's will be running? when i install Linux does it just simply over-ride the OS from booting and simply just run linux? if i dont like linux i can simply un-install linux and be good 2 go with windows?
    I mean, you can choose to dual boot. You'll get a boot screen asking you if you want to boot Linux or Windows. Only one OS can be running. You will have Windows on one partition and Linux on another. You'll need to repartition your hard drive for this. If you decide you don't like Linux, then you can just delete the Linux partition and reclaim the space it used.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.

ok sweet! i will try the dual boot style! that means i dont have to move files anywhere

Here is a youtube video, showing how to install Ubuntu 10 on a pc.
    YouTube - How to Install Linux Ubuntu 10.04 on a PC