Find the answer to your Linux question:
When i want to install a prog in windows i can choose the location where i can install it. How does the installation happen in linux when i install a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question How does linux install a program

When i want to install a prog in windows i can choose the location where i can install it. How does the installation happen in linux when i install a program using installpkg? Where are the files installed and what is the reason for doing this in such a way?

man hier

security is a major issue in linux, having it install in root directory (/usr/bin) or a directory that requires root password is the only way to ensure new users (or not very smart "experienced" users) don't start installing things in places that they shouldn't be installed.

It is possible to install in different areas, just takes a bit of work
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

If system-wide installation is not possible or not feasible one can always install into ~/bin. Putting this on users path first ensures programs in users home bin will be executed instead of system ones.
    For instance, there is mplayer installed by package management tools. You want to try new svn version? You install it into ~/bin. Now, when you execute mplayer command the one in your home bin will be used. Didn't like it? Remove it and next time you execute mplayer the stable one from system will be used. Convenient.