Find the answer to your Linux question:
This is definitely a question that belongs in the newbie forums. Over the weekend my HD crashed so I ended up using the Ubuntu LiveCD I had sent to me ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Ubuntu LiveCD Desktop Effects... Beryl?

This is definitely a question that belongs in the newbie forums. Over the weekend my HD crashed so I ended up using the Ubuntu LiveCD I had sent to me years ago when I had not internet. I liked the desktop effects. There were simple, subtle sliding effects when I switched between desktops and some window effects when I minimized windows.

Is that Beryl or whatever Beryl became... I think Compiz Fusion or Beryl Compiz. Or is it something Ubuntu has built-in?

I definitely do not want all the crazy effects, I did that back when I used Beryl and it was fun but not completely useful. Plus, the computer I am using now would not be able to handle a ton of effects.

Thanks for the help!
    Running Linux Since 2001
    Registered Linux User #430868 - Since 91206

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Those effects are handled by Compiz Fusion. You need a 3D graphics card to handle them but you can pick and choose which effects you want. The best way is to install CompizConfig Settings Manager and you get completely granular control.

I think compiz fusion is installed by default on Ubuntu but you only get the simple settings manager. When you enable the effects from System -> Preferences -> Appearance, you will be prompted to install a graphics driver if required.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info. Sounds like just another thing to mess with that I don't need. I'll stick with what I have.
    Running Linux Since 2001
    Registered Linux User #430868 - Since 91206