Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm building another PC that will be used as a workstation specifically for recovering data from hard drives and backing up the info and I want to install linux as ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Which Distro to use for Data Recovery Workstation?

I'm building another PC that will be used as a workstation specifically for recovering data from hard drives and backing up the info and I want to install linux as the OS. Which Distro would you reccomend I use?

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello and welcome!

You could use a simple liveCD for data recovery and backups if you wanted. I personally use the Parted Magic LiveCD for those purposes and it works great.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thanks!

I have some pretty cool live cd's to use, but I was just having trouble deciding which distro i would install to the hard drive to use as the main OS

oz
    forum.guy
    If you are new to Linux, any of the top 10 or so distros at DistroWatch.com should work, depending on the specs for the new machine. All the distros in the Ubuntu family are quite popular with new Linux users. If you are experienced with Linux, you can pick pretty much anything you want, and then add any necessary apps for the recovery and backups, or continue to use the liveCDs.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thanks Ozar! Will do

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I run CentOS (community version of Red Hat Enterprise Linux) on my workstation and do a fair amount of professional data recovery and delousing of Windows system discs for my clients with it. It's stable, well-supported though not bleeding edge.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!