Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
ok sorry i downloaded th game supertuxkart i went to the game file found it click it but nothing happens the screen flicker but thats all it happens...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ok sorry i downloaded th game supertuxkart i went to the game file found it click it but nothing happens the screen flicker but thats all it happens

Quote Originally Posted by santi1031 View Post
    ok sorry i downloaded th game supertuxkart i went to the game file found it click it but nothing happens the screen flicker but thats all it happens
    That's much better, Santi. Ok, I play supertuxkart myself so I know the game. That game requires direct rendering in order to play. I suspect your graphics card doesn't support 3D acceleration or you haven't installed the correct driver. This may explain why a number of other games won't run either. Can you run a program called glxinfo? The beginning of the info supplied looks like this:
    Code:
    ~$ glxinfo
    name of display: :0.0
    display: :0  screen: 0
    direct rendering: Yes
    server glx vendor string: SGI
    server glx version string: 1.2
    server glx extensions:
    The crucial line is "direct rendering: Yes". That means I can play supertuxkart. You can also post the name of your graphic card if you're not sure if it supports 3D acceleration or not.
    ciao,
    jdk

Just Joined!
    it says no and ita ndivia card

it says no and ita ndivia card
    There's your answer then! Do you want to tell us which Nvidia card you have or do you want us to guess. Do you know if your card supports direct rendering?
    ciao,
    jdk

Just Joined!
    i really don't know which one i have and when i look at the support it says no please remember i'm new to this i should have say not only to linux but to computers as well i was alway affraid of messing it up so i did't do much with it just get me email now i'm trying to venture out

i really don't know which one i have and when i look at the support it says no please remember i'm new to this i should have say not only to linux but to computers as well i was alway affraid of messing it up so i did't do much with it just get me email now i'm trying to venture out
    I don't really understand much of what you say.
    when i look at the support it says no
    What support? Where do you look? How do you look? Who says, "no"? A person? A response? You really don't give enough information for anyone to help you. If you open a terminal (konsole) and type
    Code:
    lspci
    you will get lots of information about your system. Towards the end you will see something like this:
    Code:
    00:18.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Link Control
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV710 [Radeon HD 4350]
    01:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc RV710/730
    02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 01)
    I have highlighted the line that gives information about my graphics card. As you see, it is an ATI Radeon HD 4350 card. Can you do the same thing and post your result? Either you cannot play games like supertuxkart because your card doesn't support 3D acceleration or you haven't installed the correct driver for that card. We can only go forward if you do what I ask and tell me what exact card you have.
    ciao,
    jdk

Just Joined!
    thank you for your help here is hopefully what you asked and when i said no it was the responder support that says no well hear is it nVidia Corporation NV44A [GeForce 6200]

thank you for your help here is hopefully what you asked and when i said no it was the responder support that says no well hear is it nVidia Corporation NV44A [GeForce 6200]
    I don't know what "responder support" is? Is that a telephone number to support? did you speak to a person? Anyway, let's forget this.

Let's see what driver you are using. My bet is you're running vesa which is not what you want. Can you send me the output for these two commands:
    Code:
    lsmod |grep nv
    lsmod |grep video
    ciao,
    jdk

Just Joined!
    when i type it in just like you had it nothing hapen so i type just lsmod got a lots a words and numbers but nothing that says grep nv or grep video
    i want to say thank you but it's 3:30 in the am here in the US and my kids get up at 6 so i have to go but again thank you

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    when i type it in just like you had it nothing hapen so i type just lsmod got a lots a words and numbers but nothing that says grep nv or grep video
    That means nothing was found by grep which is OK.

i want to say thank you but it's 3:30 in the am here in the US and my kids get up at 6 so i have to go but again thank you
    Yikes! Dealing with kids after only a couple of hours sleep. This will be easy by comparison.

I'm guessing that you have SimplyMepis 8.5 with KDE 4.something and that has the X-Windows Assistant to help you install your drivers. Here is a link to their wiki which takes you through installing the nvidia drivers.

[edit]
    Their Wiki (Main Page - MEPIS Documentation Wiki) is one of the most useful I have seen for any distro. If I liked KDE, it would be my distro of choice. Sadly, they don't provide any support for Gnome )
    [/edit]
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast