Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have Mandriva 08 with Gnome and Nautilus. My O.S won't open a desktop icon but it does show up in "Computer" and HardDrake. If I go to "Places" "Computer" ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

MP3 and flash drives: GUI how to

I have Mandriva 08 with Gnome and Nautilus. My O.S won't open a desktop icon but it does show up in "Computer" and HardDrake. If I go to "Places" "Computer" and open up the "Preferences" there is "Settings" which I will include as an attachment. What is the GUI way to use a Flash drive or a MP3 device on Linux. I would rather not use the terminal if it is not necessary.

Thanks in advance!

Hi and Welcome !

Press Alt+F2 and type this
    Code:
    gconf-editor
    Navigate to apps -- nautilus -- Desktop. Check Volumes_visible check-box in right pane.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Thanks for the reply!

It was checked but i toggled it because sometimes that helps. My player was partially defective ( the radio) so I'm waiting on a replacement one so I can't try it now.

If you could give me some terms to search it would be appreciated. I can't find to much on this topic that is organized. I guess I might have to use the terminal because no one knows how to use the GUI to do this type of thing. I will try to leave an attachment again.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It was checked but i toggled it because sometimes that helps. My player was partially defective ( the radio) so I'm waiting on a replacement one so I can't try it now.
    How many Flash drives have you tried? Does Icon appear on Desktop for any Drive?

If you want to mount Drives manually, execute fdisk -l command in Terminal and note down Device name assigned to Flash drive. Let say it's /dev/sdb1.
    Execute this in Terminal
    Code:
    mkdir /media/flash
    mount /dev/sdb1  /media/flash
    You must have root privileges to execute above commands.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First