Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone, Thank you for taking the time to read this. I am pretty new at Linux so I apologize for the stupid question. Recently, I just installed the g95 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Symbolic Link

Hello everyone,

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I am pretty new at Linux so I apologize for the stupid question.

Recently, I just installed the g95 FORTRAN compiler and want to create a link to it so I can use it anywhere (ie: in the same way typing "firefox" will open a window no matter what directory you type it in). For example, I just want to able to call the compiler from the directory that includes the source code files like so:

~/research/fortran_code> g95 hello_world.f90

I tried a few different combinations using "ln -s" but the link would never work. I can run the code by moving into the install/bin file of the compiler, but it's really inconvenient. Anyone have any suggestions?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Where (what directory and name) was it installed to?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    The compiler is installed in this directory:

g95-install/bin/i686-pc-linux-gnu-g95

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    This is only a relative directory/path. Where, exactly, is it installed? In your home directory?

Just Joined!
    Yes, sorry, its:

/home/peter/g95-install/bin/i686-pc-linux-gnu-g95

Assuming it also put a lib directory there, you would need to do the following:

1. Create a link to the executable in either /bin or /usr/local/bin: sudo ln -s /home/peter/g95-install/bin/i686-pc-linux-gnu-g95 /usr/bin/g95
    and: export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/peter/g95-install/lib:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}

The second command is to make the shared libraries available to the compiler and built executables.

So I think you're a bit confused on what you're trying to do.

In order to run a program without giving the whole path to it, you need to put the directory of that program into your PATH. You can see your current path by running:
    Code:
    echo $PATH
    from the commandline.

So now, I think you have two options.

1) Add ~/g95-install/bin/ to your path:
    Code:
    PATH=~/g95-install/bin:$PATH
    2) Create a dedicated local bin directory, add it to your path, and add a symlink to your program from that:
    Code:
    mkdir ~/bin
    PATH=~/bin:$PATH
    ln -s ~/g95-install/bin/i686-pc-linux-gnu-g95 ~/bin/g95
    In both of these cases, you will probably want to add the PATH variable modification to your bashrc.

Does this make sense?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Assuming it also put a lib directory there, you would need to do the following:

1. Create a link to the executable in either /bin or /usr/local/bin: sudo ln -s /home/peter/g95-install/bin/i686-pc-linux-gnu-g95 /usr/bin/g95
    and: export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/peter/g95-install/lib:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}

The second command is to make the shared libraries available to the compiler and built executables.
    Thanks, I got it to work! I'm definitely printing this out for reference.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabhan View Post
    So I think you're a bit confused on what you're trying to do.

In order to run a program without giving the whole path to it, you need to put the directory of that program into your PATH. You can see your current path by running:
    Code:
    echo $PATH
    from the commandline.

So now, I think you have two options.

1) Add ~/g95-install/bin/ to your path:
    Code:
    PATH=~/g95-install/bin:$PATH
    2) Create a dedicated local bin directory, add it to your path, and add a symlink to your program from that:
    Code:
    mkdir ~/bin
    PATH=~/bin:$PATH
    ln -s ~/g95-install/bin/i686-pc-linux-gnu-g95 ~/bin/g95
    In both of these cases, you will probably want to add the PATH variable modification to your bashrc.

Does this make sense?
    So I tried the previous poster's solution and got it to work, but (again, my linux understanding is low), isn't a symbolic link used so you don't have to keep typing in the whole path for an executable (much like a Windows shortcut)? Thanks for the response.