Find the answer to your Linux question:
Does anyone know of a intentionally comprehensive in-dept guide? Thaks in advance...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Virtual File System Tutoral / Guide

Does anyone know of a intentionally comprehensive in-dept guide?

Thaks in advance

ved

Smile

The Virtual Filesystem

Linux, like most UNIX-like operating systems that I know, supports multiple filesystems through an abstraction layer. In Linux, this layer is called VFS, for Virtual FileSystem. This way, the kernel need not worry about the specifics of any one filesystem; it just makes VFS calls, and VFS calls the right functions in the filesystem driver. Conversely, filesystem drivers can rely on the VFS for certain operations, simplifying filesystem implementation a bit.

you try goggle first
    HTML Code:
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/newbie/42937-google-your-best-friend.html

Smile Thanks for the links

I'm not that familiar with it so basic introductory info for a home PC enthusiast would be fine. I'll look into fuse. ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-linux-filesystem/]Anatomy of the Linux file system[/url] and tldp.org/LDP/tlk/fs/filesystem.html[/url] are not horrible but the more that the author abstracts the less the reader knows and these two are very abstract. If I had not studied Virtual Memory and understood that the term Virtual is just a pop-culture phrase they would make no sense at all. Sometimes someone is aware of a really good guide that they found from a certain search term that a novice is not familiar with. Thanks for the Fuse term!