Find the answer to your Linux question:
so im trying to install linux on a sylvania synet 07526 netbook the machine has an arm via 8505 processor it currently is running windows ce 6.0 ive tried distrowatch ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

which distro to get (already took the which distro quiz)

so im trying to install linux on a

sylvania synet 07526 netbook
    the machine has an arm via 8505 processor
    it currently is running windows ce 6.0

ive tried distrowatch and the which distro quiz but i cant seem to find a distro that will work for it. i tried debian but cant figure out how to install it (the netbook has no boot screen other than a black screen with a sylvania logo in the middle that says "loading OS image..." at the bottom. oh and ive tried hitting f8 etc while booting but nothing happens.

im relatively new to linux so i am a bit lost

As far as I know, there is no way to boot this machine from a USB stick. It is, however, possible to get install some version of linux on it.

There is a very long thread in the ubuntu forums discussing this, and a site set up distilling the info there, though not in the clearest of fashions.

I think Debian is still your best bet.

Linux Guru
    I googled the name of your computer and there is not much out there. The only useful bit of information I found is that it comes with 128MB of RAM which, if true is going to limit your choices. Ubuntu Network Remix is designed for notebooks but I don't know if it will run on your machine. Other smaller distributions are Puppy and its derivatives, JoliCloud (which is designed for netbooks), Slax and Slitaz. Slitaz is a very small system but useful for simple tasks like reading email,etc. I'd suggest you just go to the sites of the above and take a look.

More info on your hardware would probably help?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

Easy Peasy

I have found that EasyPeasy works for everyone I have suggested it to for netbooks:

distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=easypeasy]DistroWatch.com: EasyPeasy

Quote Originally Posted by Wifi-Fanatux View Post
    I have found that EasyPeasy works for everyone I have suggested it to for netbooks:

distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=easypeasy]DistroWatch.com: EasyPeasy
    EasyPeasy is too much for 128MB RAM. Also, this netbook has an ARM processor, and to my knowledge, there is no port of EasyPeasy to ARM architecture.

ARM processor

I think you are right about Easypeasy. That ARM is going to take a while to port. Jolicloud has a lot of compatible netbooks, but doesn't mention for sure about the ARM processor:
    jolicloud.com/product/compatibility

It may take a bit of time, but you may be able to use "woof" to create a puppy derivative using the debian ARM packages:
    bkhome.org/woof/

Supposedly, google chrome os will be coming out this fall with ARM compatibility, although their blog states that it will only be offered in preinstalled devices. I am sure someone will have a download available then, but more than likely it will have to be built/compiled from source without an installer.

Reed9 is probably right about debian being your best bet, this may help:
    mail-archive.com/debian-arm@lists.debian.org/msg10693.html

Could this be a possibility?
    Debian -- ARM Port

Source based Linux might be the key here.
    Gentoo would do it.
    But Debian has an ARM port, supported.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.