Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Newbie here. A friend installed Ubuntu 8.4 for me. I tried to upgrade to the current new version but it will stop at one point and say, " Failed to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Upgrade from Ubuntu 8.04 to the current version

Newbie here. A friend installed Ubuntu 8.4 for me. I tried to upgrade to the current new version but it will stop at one point and say, " Failed to fetch ......compiz-plugins_0.8.4-0ubuntu15_i386.deb.. Hash Sum mismatch" and stop. I can separately download that very same file but it won't do it by itself.

how do I get it to work? I am just a windows user trying to learn to get away from Windows. Thanks for the help. This has been bothering me for the past ten days and each attempt ends at the same point.

Palani

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello and welcome to the forums!

My personal opinion is that going from 8.04 to the latest version of Ubuntu is too large of a leap for an upgrade, and too many things have changed between these releases, so I'd highly recommend that you back up all data and do a fresh install.
    oz

Hi and Welcome !

I agree with ozar. You should consider fresh installation of latest version or keep using 8.04 only. It's not recommended to upgrade from 8.04 to 10.4.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

upgrading from Ubuntu 8.4 to new version

Quote Originally Posted by devils casper View Post
    Hi and Welcome !

I agree with ozar. You should consider fresh installation of latest version or keep using 8.04 only. It's not recommended to upgrade from 8.04 to 10.4.
    Thank you
    I shall do a fresh install with the new version. Thanks.
    Palani

Quote Originally Posted by palani_ENT View Post
    Thank you
    I shall do a fresh install with the new version. Thanks.
    Palani
    While you're at it. I don't know whether or not you already have it, but maybe you want to consider a separate partition for your home directory, just so that you don't lose your files when upgrading. It shouldn't stop you from making back-ups but it will save your files (if you do it all correctly).

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bemk View Post
    While you're at it. I don't know whether or not you already have it, but maybe you want to consider a separate partition for your home directory, just so that you don't lose your files when upgrading. It shouldn't stop you from making back-ups but it will save your files (if you do it all correctly).
    I have not done a separate partition for the home directory. Will try to do that. Need to learn how to do it.
    Thanks
    Palani

Quote Originally Posted by palani_ENT View Post
    I have not done a separate partition for the home directory. Will try to do that. Need to learn how to do it.
    Thanks
    Palani
    Just be sure that you have your data backed-up, as I simply can't guarantee that you will keep your data on the drive.

Linux User
    Look at Ubuntu 8.04 to 10.04 - reader provides the 'right' switch, but why is this even an issue? - CLICK

The update can be done. Not every time, but it can be done.

Just Joined!
    This sounds like it might help. Will try it tomorrow when I have more time on my hands. Thank you for pointing me in this direction. Palani

Linux people are Update Happy!

If your Kernel is only a few years old there should be provisions to do just about everything. When your Linux O.S is holding you back is the time to change it. Linux Distros have an updating feature built in but usually you can't update past two years .You can still get applications through your package manager after they stop providing updates. Not having the latest version of a Distro is not a big deal and sometimes they introduce more bugs so its worse. If it is'nt broke don't fix it! While you are learning about Linux, mix in some reading of how to do fresh install and keep your present files in place.

Serendipity to all!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast