Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Ubuntu / Mint are DEB based. RPM and DEB are just different file formats that do the same job; kind of like .exe and .msi installers in Windows excepting that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Either at home or at work or down the pub

Ubuntu / Mint are DEB based. RPM and DEB are just different file formats that do the same job; kind of like .exe and .msi installers in Windows excepting that a distro will only use one of them and they are not actually executable.

I prefer DEB based as I have never experienced dependency hell with a DEB based distro and I have with RPM based distros; other people have never experienced it with RPM based distros so your mileage there may vary. Fedora 11 dropped me straight into dependency hell when doing the updates after a clean install

An example of dependency hell would be:

When trying to install software A it needs (depends on) software B
    When trying to install software B it needs software C
    When trying to install software C it needs software A

Normally, you don't need to worry about any of that as the package manager sorts it all out for you and with your permission will install all the additional software that is needed.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Just Joined!

CD versus DVD

You can burn a distro install iso to a DVD instead of a CD.

I've tried Linux Mint but it would not work live (i.e. without installing) on my cheapo Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop so I stuck to Ubuntu. Supposedly, it's more like Windows than Ubuntu which I've used on desktops, laptops & netbooks (for which I use the Ubuntu Netbook Edition). The only thing I find find really annoying about Ubuntu is their putting the minimize, maximize, close icons on the top left of a window rather than the top right. This is easily fixable, especially if you install Ubuntu Tweak.

In the past I've tried the rpm based distros but in my view Debian based distros such as Debian, Ubuntu & Linux Mint (unless you want to pay for Enterprise editions) are much better in terms of stability & ease of use. I use Debian for servers.

Just Joined!

cd iso on dvd disk

Quote Originally Posted by johnaaronrose View Post
    You can burn a distro install iso to a DVD instead of a CD.
    Yep. Just found out: Nero won't let you burn a cd image on a dvd disk (you get a wrong media error), so I used the excellent and free InfraRecorder. Highly recommended!!

Edit> hey ya all. Posting from SUSE Lxde live cd, wow!
    So far loving Lxde.
    I got wired network and bluetooth *including tethering with a wimo phone! working.
    however, no luck with my wireless card and keybord layout is not ok, but I mean, no big deals I think these could be solved later.

Now I will try Mint Lxde and give you a feedback.

btw, I noticed that Mint Lxde comes in the 32bit version only, while this suse live is 64.
    Do you think I should choose 64 over 32? Or is not that relevant?

Edit2> now posting from Mint live Lxde.
    Feels like a more out of the box distro, i.e. has video and audio codes already installed.
    However I got really scared upon startup, as my laptop screen began to flicker really really bad. I turned it off and after logging in seems ok, but I have the feeling it indicates some nasty graphic card issue.
    Plus, wireless not working here as well
    Last edited by qwerty_zaqwsx; 10-08-2010 at 12:07 PM.

Some good info and guidance on installing here:
    The Perfect Desktop - Linux Mint 9 (Isadora) | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

They have similar for all the main distros. There's a lot of redundancy and overkill in applications, but it's not bad to experiment with many to find what you like.

Wireless is usually simple to get going, especially if you have a wired connection. Check out the sticky here.

Wireless cards on laptops are a hassle. I had to use NDISWRAPPER. It allows Linux to use the Windows driver for the card. You'll need the *.inf and *.sys from the driver's XP folder. We can guide you through this.
    The Linux installation automatically chooses the highest refresh rate the video card is capable of. Try changing the refresh rate to 70 MHz, resolution to 1024x728.
    I have no idea about the keyboard, perhaps is on British English?

Just Joined!

a new linux user!

Hey all folks!
    I made it! I'm posting from OpenSUSE LXDE installed on hard drive!!

Took me some time to edit the partition table and mounting points for win partition, but the basic set up is done.
    On full install, the keybord problem disappeard, and now the correct (italian) layout is detected.
    I know it will take some time to get the system fully operational (from now I'll start posting to the distro specific forum), but the big step is taken!

thank you guys, you just made a happy new linux user !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2