Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Press SHIFT key at startup. GRUB2 Menu will appear. Note down entry number of other OS. Let say, other OS is appearing at line 3 in GRUB Menu. Counting of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Press SHIFT key at startup. GRUB2 Menu will appear. Note down entry number of other OS.
    Let say, other OS is appearing at line 3 in GRUB Menu. Counting of GRUB Menu entries start from zero. It means you have to set default value to 2.
    Open /etc/default/grub file and set GRUB_DEFAULT value to 2.
    Code:
    GRUB_DEFAULT=2
    Save file and execute sudo update-grub command to generate new GRUB Menu.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Hey Devils;

So I managed to get into the GRUB (finally eh?), and I have run into another issue (go figure...). The GRUB only lists three things: Ubuntu, Ubuntu recovery mode, and Memory tests (note: there's two of each, but they are almost the same thing???), it does not list my Other OS. Should I reinstall Win 7? Is there a chance it will erase Ubuntu, or cause damage to ubuntu? I do need Win 7 for school, as I require some of the features (IIS 7, etc), however I really want to use Ubuntu as well. So is reinstalling Win 7 going to provide it as an option in the GRUB?

Also; I just wanted to thank you for all your help, I never would have gotten this far without you, and you have been more than amazing. Thank you very much for everything you've done for me so far, and I hope in the future I can find a way to repay you.

Thanks much,

Dustin<>

Linux Guru
    The multiple entries for Ubuntu are probably different kernels if you've done an update. If the kernel number entries are not exactly the same, that is what it is.

I would not suggest you re-install windows 7. If you do, it will overwrite your master boot record and you will be back to where you are now and will need to re-install Grub.

I don't use Ubuntu or Grub2 so the best I can suggest is this link, a Grub2 tutorial. Section 5:C should explain dual booting with windows 7.

GRUB2 should detect Windows OS without any problem. Lets check partition structure of your Hard disk first.
    Open Terminal and execute this
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    Post output here.

* It's a small L in fdisk -l.

Just Joined!
    fdisk output:

Disk /dev/sda: 250.1 GB, 250059350016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x5846ee64

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 * 1 192 1536000 82 Linux swap / Solaris
    Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
    /dev/sda2 192 21864 174080000 7 HPFS/NTFS
    Partition 2 does not end on cylinder boundary.
    /dev/sda3 29127 30402 10240000 7 HPFS/NTFS
    Partition 3 does not end on cylinder boundary.
    /dev/sda4 21864 29127 58340352 83 Linux
    Partition 4 does not end on cylinder boundary.

Partition table entries are not in disk order

Dustin<>

Did you resize Windows 7 partition before Linux installation? Windows 7 partition should be first Primary Partition but it's a second partition in your machine.
    Execute sudo update-grub command again. Does it list Windows 7 while detect OSes?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2