Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hey Guys, So I'm completely new to ubuntu (in fact this is my first time being ON Ubuntu), so I have a couple of questions. Firstly is about the bootloader. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ubuntu bootloader?

Hey Guys,

So I'm completely new to ubuntu (in fact this is my first time being ON Ubuntu), so I have a couple of questions.

Firstly is about the bootloader. I'm used to using Windows 7 and recently have started using Fedora 13. I know on Fedora 13 that the bootloader can be fixed on the GUI through the Administration > bootloader menu. I was wondering if there was a way to change the bootloader from the GUI so that Windows 7 will be the default loader, but so that I have 10 - 15 seconds to select Ubuntu on the bootloader on start up. If it's not possible from the GUI can someone show me step by step (I'm a nooob) on how to do it from the command line?

Secondly, having only used Fedora 13, I was wondering what sort of commands I'd run into using Ubuntu. Are they still the same (aside from the obvious of pwd, whoami, etc which if I'm not mistaken are linux-based, but I mean commands such as yum/rpm which I was to understand are Fedora/Red Hat specific)?

Lastly, on Fedora there was the ability to use the "cube" style of changing the "workspace", where you could click ctl + alt + left mouse click, and your workspace would turn into a cube and you could rotate it. Is this possible in Ubuntu, and if so how?

Thanks much (I know it's a lot!),

Dustin<>

Firstly is about the bootloader. I'm used to using Windows 7 and recently have started using Fedora 13. I know on Fedora 13 that the bootloader can be fixed on the GUI through the Administration > bootloader menu. I was wondering if there was a way to change the bootloader from the GUI so that Windows 7 will be the default loader, but so that I have 10 - 15 seconds to select Ubuntu on the bootloader on start up. If it's not possible from the GUI can someone show me step by step (I'm a nooob) on how to do it from the command line?
    It's startupmanager in Ubuntu. You have to install it manually.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install startupmanager
    Secondly, having only used Fedora 13, I was wondering what sort of commands I'd run into using Ubuntu. Are they still the same (aside from the obvious of pwd, whoami, etc which if I'm not mistaken are linux-based, but I mean commands such as yum/rpm which I was to understand are Fedora/Red Hat specific)?
    Basic commands are same in all distros. Difference is in Package Management. Ubuntu is Debian based and uses apt-get as its package manager. Check its manual here.

Like yum, apt-get has its Graphical Interface too. It is Synaptic Package Manager. Check it in Administration menu. Here is a tutorial on using Synaptic Package Manager.
    Lastly, on Fedora there was the ability to use the "cube" style of changing the "workspace", where you could click ctl + alt + left mouse click, and your workspace would turn into a cube and you could rotate it. Is this possible in Ubuntu, and if so how?
    It is possible in Ubuntu too. Which Graphics Card do you have? Have you installed its Driver?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils casper View Post
    It's startupmanager in Ubuntu. You have to install it manually.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install startupmanager
    It worked great! Thanks!

Basic commands are same in all distros. Difference is in Package Management. Ubuntu is Debian based and uses apt-get as its package manager.

Like yum, apt-get has its Graphical Interface too. It is Synaptic Package Manager.

So, apt-get is ubuntu's version of yum? Alrighty, thanks!

It is possible in Ubuntu too. Which Graphics Card do you have? Have you installed its Driver?
    I have no idea what my graphics card is, it came built in with the laptop, and I can't figure out how to check it with Ubuntu (I'm running off the GUI as much as possible, not being great with command line yet), however when I did the Hardware Driver option from the Administration menu, it said there were no available drivers for any proprietiary devices. Don't know if that's good/bad/unimportant.
    Thanks much,

Dustin<>

p.s. had to remove the links you put in there, apparently I can't post links just yet

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    If no drivers are shown as needed, it just means that no proprietary drivers are needed for your machine.

For the 3D desktop, you can get basic control by going to System -> Preferences -> Appearance and choosing the Visual Effects tab. You can get much more control by installing compizconfig-settings-manager.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Post the output of this
    Code:
    lspci | grep -i vga

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils casper View Post
    Post the output of this
    Code:
    lspci | grep -i vga
    Output as requested:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)

Also; Startup Manager won't let me do the following:

1) Does not let me set up any default OS other than Ubuntu;
    2) Upon start-up there is no (I say again NO) bootloader with options for other OSes.
    3) Does not allowed many options

I'll attach a screenshot (don't know if you'll be able to see it or not...?) of what it looks like for me.

Thanks much;

Dustin<>
    Attached Images Attached Images

I don't have access to my Ubuntu box right now. Does it list any options on clicking Advanced tab?

Just Joined!
    Advanced options:

Bootloader screen resolution & create rescue floppy

Sincerly;

Dustin<>

I will check it in my Ubuntu box. Meanwhile, you can edit a few configs manually to change GRUB2 settings.

1) Does not let me set up any default OS other than Ubuntu;
    Open /etc/default/grub file and set default value.
    Press Alt+F2 and type this
    Code:
    gksu gedit /etc/dfault/grub

2) Upon start-up there is no (I say again NO) bootloader with options for other OSes.
    GRUB Menu is hidden by default. Press SHIFT key to display GRUB Menu.

Just Joined!
    In the /etc/default/grub is:

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
    GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
    GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
    GRUB_TIMEOUT=15
    GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=" splash"

what should I change and what should I change it to?

p.s. on bootup I get a black screen with a small _ flashing. That's it, then it starts ubuntu.

Thanks;

Dustin<>

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast