Find the answer to your Linux question:
Was running Ubuntu 10.04 on a machine with an Nvidia GeForce X1300 card. The card went bad so I went back to the integrated video on the motherboard. Now Ubuntu ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Does Linux need video card support?

Was running Ubuntu 10.04 on a machine with an Nvidia GeForce X1300 card. The card went bad so I went back to the integrated video on the motherboard. Now Ubuntu won't boot and I can't even do a fresh install. Does Linux have to be supported by the video card? Thanks.

Did you go into bios and enable onboard video before you booted Ubuntu?
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    What do you mean by wont boot?

If you get a black screen, and you had the nvidia drivers installed, you may be using the wrong driver. At the black screen, press Ctrl + Alt + F1 to drop to a console and then log in as yourself.

run the following command

sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.saved

That's a capital x and two ones. This command will rename your X config file forcing an auto-detect when you reboot which you can do by running the following command:

sudo shutdown -r now
    Last edited by elija; 10-10-2010 at 10:22 AM. Reason: correct switch in shutdown command
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    It is very likely (almost a certainty) that your xorg.conf file is not configured properly for the on-board video. As mentioned by rokytnji, you first need to enable the on-board video in the BIOS, then when you boot it should put you into a text-mode login since it won't be able to start the X server. You then need to alter your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file by running the command "Xorg -configure". That will probe your hardware and write a new xorg.conf file for you. You should then be able to start the X server with the command "startx".
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!