Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am having some difficulty with a USB Flash and have somehow created a permanent icon in this folder that matches the origial mount name. The shape of the icon ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I need to remove a drive Icon From "Computer-File Browser"

I am having some difficulty with a USB Flash and have somehow created a permanent icon in this folder that matches the origial mount name. The shape of the icon is the same as a CD ROM. I need the permission of "unknown" to delete it. How do I get rid of this folder?

I'm Using Gnome with Nautilus.

Thanks in advance!

Hi and Welcome !

Which Linux distro are you using?
    I need the permission of "unknown" to delete it. How do I get rid of this folder?
    You must have root privileges to delete/create anything outside your home folder. Try su or sudo to gain root privileges.

Press Alt+F2 and type this
    Code:
    gksu nautilus
    It will open Nautilus with root privileges and you will have permission to delete/edit/create any file/folder anywhere.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Thanks for the reply!

I'm using Mandriva 08 and gksu nautilus is not recognized. It has Gnome and Nautilus. I'm working on problem of that I can manually mount a Flash drive but it will not create the correct icon to acccess it in "Computer file-browser'. Some how I created an icon that has the name of the mount I used and it does not disappear when you remove the Flash drive. I have all the modules as far as I know of for it to work.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    As I mentioned earlier, you must have root privileges to delete that Icon. Open Terminal and cd to the location having that Icon. Execute rm command to delete it.
    Code:
    su -
    cd path/of/folder
    ls
    Check if output of ls lists Icon name.
    Code:
    rm -rf icon_name
    Make sure to type correct name. Other wise, it can hose your system.

Thanks for the Help

I ended up reinstalling my system and the hot plugging utility works fine now. It must have been a dynamic Library issue. If I had not have reinstalled, how would I have found the "Computer file Browser window" path? It is not a user file?

Thanks again for your help. I see your posts all the time and you are a great help to the Linux community.

Linux filesystem is different from Windows and there is nothing virtual ( a very few exceptions ) in it. Everything in Linux is considered as file only and you can track file path easily. Check /media folder in your fresh installation.