Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, Looking at buying a system with a tv tuner but I had a question. With all tv going digital these days, most, if not all, encrypted, are these ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Cable to PC

Hi All,

Looking at buying a system with a tv tuner but I had a question. With all tv going digital these days, most, if not all, encrypted, are these tuners even useful any more? I was hoping to set up a myth setup but we have ATT Uverse and it looks like pc won't handle it because of details that I don't understand. Other service in my area is dish network, dishtv, cox and time warner. Any thoughts? Thanks all
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Some of these cards support broadcast digital signals. Check the board make/model to be sure. In any case, in the US all broadcast is digital - and unencrypted. Only cable providers will encrypt the signal, which is why you need one of those annoying set-top boxes for cable.

As for Uverse, don't waste your $$. Just my opinion.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Yeah Uverse is the cheapest for what we need in the house. 4 streams, all channels basically for $149 a month, tv in three rooms. Going through time warner this would clear $200 easy so our options are limited
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"