Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Qunta Plus - check that out for your WYSIWYG editor, should work great from what I'm reading Got it. Looks good but will not open a .DWT file in WYSIWYG ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Qunta Plus - check that out for your WYSIWYG editor, should work great from what I'm reading
    Got it. Looks good but will not open a .DWT file in WYSIWYG nor will it update the dependant pages.

A work around is using PHP includes, but I am not willing to re-write 200 pages on one site alone.

Best hope is Dreamweaver in a VB

Thanks
    eddie

I'm not sure if this fits all your needs but I think it might be worth looking at.
    Bluefish Editor : Home
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    10/22/10 update:

I have Linux Mint installed. Best install of the distros I have tried so far.

Added the VirtualBox, the one with flash drive support.

Spent most of yesterday getting that to work. No joy on any of the recommendations that I found on the Internet.

Problem is either a Linux Mint or VirtualBox problem. I created both XP and Win7 drives and after installation had the same problem on both.

Last night noticed that Update were ready so I installed them. After that and changing system motherboard setting to enable IO APCI and absolute pointing device, I was able to access the flash drive. Its very S L O W !

On the Win 7 drive I was able to install Xampp and Dreamweaver. They both work.

Current problems:
    No sound from the windows installation - Works on Mint.
    No access to the Shared Hard drive from Windows install.
    Graphics suck!

I can live, if I have to without sound but I need access to the data drive.

No wonder you guys are so upset with windows drivers! Click a button and go update drivers in windows. In virutalbox windows it seems impossible.

Thanks for all the response so far
    eddie

Quote Originally Posted by ejones View Post
    Problem is either a Linux Mint or VirtualBox problem. I created both XP and Win7 drives and after installation had the same problem on both....

I can live, if I have to without sound but I need access to the data drive.
    I use VirtualBox running on Arch Linux & have not tried it in Mint, but would expect similar results in either. I run Windows 2000 in VirtualBox and have tried Windows XP and the beta version of Windows 7 which both ran in VirtualBox. I think I use this for setting things up.

If you can get Mint to mount the drive and access data properly then do that ... mount the drive in a folder in your user home area and share the folder with the VM. But before you do that cp data over on a temporary bases and check the software running in the VM does what you want it to.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for all of the support! Folks are more helpful than the last attempt I made at going to Linux.

I give up!

As someone suggested early on, I will go back to my addiction. This hill is to hard to climb.

More than 2 weeks of trying and I still do not have a machine that will meet 50% of what I use in windows. I tried virtualbox both ways first with ubuntu as host, then Linux mint and win7 as guest. No easy way to overcome the problems above. Tried again with win7 as host and Linux mint as guest. some of the above problems went away BUT now resolution problems.

Install guest extensions seemed to be the recommended answer. 3 more hours shot and still no closer to a working machine.

That's it! Linux has beat me again!

Thank you again for all the support you provided.
    eddie

Sorry you did not manage to sort things ... but if you decide to give things another try then I suggest doing a very basic virtualbox setup and check the programs you require work (without trying to do things like directly access hardware in the guest OS).

Just Joined!
    New Plan

Due to my personal computer needs, I can not use any Linux distribution I have tried as my primary computer.

The proprietary software I use does not have a satisfactory replacement in Linux. (financial, website development, genealogy, medical and hobbies) While there are packages that will meet some of my needs the missing elements are to great a hill to climb.

I want to learn Linux so it's going to become another hobby. My goal is to take the Debain 5.0.6 base system distro and make it work like the Ubuntu or Linux Mint.

I plan to divide the 120GB hard drive into a multi-boot system and install theses distributions:

Debian 5.0.6.
    Ubuntu 10.10
    OpenSuse or Linux Mint.

I set the first partition as a 4GB Swap partition common to all distros.

My question is can I make a common /home directory or does each distro need its on /home directory?

With the answer to that question I will move to the individual forums future questions.

Thanks again for all the help
    eddie

Quote Originally Posted by ejones View Post
    I plan to divide the 120GB hard drive into a multi-boot system and install theses distributions:

Debian 5.0.6.
    Ubuntu 10.10
    OpenSuse or Linux Mint.

I set the first partition as a 4GB Swap partition common to all distros.

My question is can I make a common /home directory or does each distro need its on /home directory?
    You can share a home partition, have separate partitions or have only a root partition for each if you want. I have a couple of distros which share a home partition but I have them on separate folders
    eg /home/distro_name/user_name
    That way settings are unique to each distro, but they do not need to be. I also have separate paritions for genuine user data - photos, documents etc.

Mounted partitions I have at the moment in Arch Linux ... other distro partitions I mount read only.
    Code:
    /dev/sda1 on / type ext4 (rw,noatime,barrier=1,nodelalloc,data=journal)
    /dev/sda10 on /var type reiserfs (rw,noatime,notail)
    /dev/sda7 on /home type ext4 (rw,noatime)
    /dev/sda5 on /home/vbox-data type ext4 (rw)
    /dev/sda6 on /home/user-data type ext4 (rw)
    /dev/sda8 on /media/sda8 type ext4 (ro)
    /dev/sda13 on /media/sda13 type reiserfs (ro)
    /dev/sdc6 on /media/sdc6 type reiserfs (rw,noatime,notail)
    /dev/sdc1 on /media/sdc1 type ext4 (rw)
    fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
    /dev/sdb1 on /media/sdb1 type fuseblk (ro,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,allow_other,blksize=4096)
    If you want the same user in each distro to have access to the same home information make sure uid values match

Good luck with the install

Just Joined!
    No joy at all!

I can install the first distro without any problems. Ubuntu in this case. When I install the next distro OpenSuse Gnome I lose the ability to boot Ubuntu. Had the same problem with Debian and Ubuntu or Debian and Linux Mint.

I searched forums, internet goggle and still do not have a clue

Is there a tutorial or guide available for multiple distro installations?

Thanks
    eddie

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast