Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
When you install Ubuntu, the default installation of the bootloader (Grub2) is to install its stage1 file to the master boot record. You re-boot your computer,set the BIOS to boot ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

When you install Ubuntu, the default installation of the bootloader (Grub2) is to install its stage1 file to the master boot record. You re-boot your computer,set the BIOS to boot first from the hard drive and it looks to the mbr, finds the Ubuntu Grub and points to the Ubuntu partition containing the remaining Grub boot files and boots your system.

When you install Opensuse, the default installation of the bootloader will be to the mbr also and this will overwrite Ubuntu mbr. Usually you have and Advanced, Expert tab to select where to install Grub with most Linux distributions. If you did not change this while installing Opensuse, then it wrote its Grub to the mbr.

In most cases with most distributions, the Grub installation of your last operating system will detect other operating systems and place entries in the menu.lst file (Opensuse w/Grub Legacy) or the grub.cfg file (Ubuntu Grub2).

Problems occur when mixing Grub Legacy and Grub2 but they can be resolved. I haven't used Grub2 as I prefer to stay away from beta software but there is a link below which explains the process.

GRUB 2 bootloader - Full tutorial

See section 5.B in the tutorial above.

The link below is about Grub2 specific to Ubuntu:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2

From another Southerner

Howdy Eddie, My wife is from Gulfport so I went out to my Motorcycle Shop Desktop Machine and booted it up to answer about how I have grub legacy booting Windows XP, AntiX 8.5, Puppy NOP, and Bruno Puppy Linux on 2 separate Hardrives. I use AntiX because it uses Debian Testing and can be set up as a rolling release (AntiX still uses grub legacy). I use Windows XP because I am locked into using TTS software
    for tuning Harley Davidsons (plus other motorcycles).

While my rig is not as powerful as yours.

Code:
    # inxi -F
    System:    Host biker Kernel 2.6.34-stevo i686 (32 bit) Distro antiX-M8.5-686-update 27 July 2010
    CPU:       Single core Intel Pentium 4 (-UP-) cache 256 KB flags (sse sse2) bmips 3589.02 clocked at 1794.513 MHz 
    Graphics:  Card nVidia NV6 [Vanta/Vanta LT] X.org 1.7.7 Res: 80x24 Gfx Data: N/A for root 
    Audio:     Card-1 Intel 82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio Controller driver Intel ICH at ports 1c00 1840 BusID: 00:1f.5
               Card-2 Ensoniq ES1371 [AudioPCI-97] driver ENS1371 at port 2040 BusID: 02:0e.0
               Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.22.1
    Network:   Card Intel 82801BA/BAM/CA/CAM Ethernet Controller driver e100 v: 3.5.24-k2-NAPI at port 2000 BusID: 02:08.0
    Disks:     HDD Total Size: 100.1GB (3.0% used) 1: /dev/hda IC35L040AVVA07-0 40.0GB 
               2: /dev/hdd SAMSUNG SV6003H 60.1GB 
    Partition: ID:/ size: 5.9G used: 2.5G (44%) fs: ext3 ID:/home size: 20G used: 382M (3%) fs: ext3 
               ID:swap-1 size: 1.08GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
    Info:      Processes 89 Uptime 2 min Memory 73.1/1135.4MB Runlevel 5 Client Shell inxi 1.4.20 
    root@biker:/home/harry# lsusb
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 04b3:310c IBM Corp. Wheel Mouse
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0bda:8189 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8187B Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps Network Adapter
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    This Desktop runs wirelessly and gets the job done just fine. I use grub legacy (.097) in AntiX to multiboot all my installed operating systems (which all work wirelessly also). I shun Grub 2 for personal reasons (because I am still learning how to edit it). Plus I am comfortable editing grub legacy to do what I want it to do. (Have the practice )

Below is my /boot/grub/menu.lst in grub legacy that boots everything. I run a primary 40 gig drive which Windows XP sits on. I run AntiX and Puppy on secondary 60 gig slave drive (all IDE Computer). Notice I have Windows installed first. Then I installed AntiX. Then I did frugal installs of puppy on
    their own partitions and installed grub to root folder. Then I manually used the menu.lst entries
    in each puppy install and added to grub legacy manually.
    Hope this all makes sense to you. I understand and sympathize as it took me some effort to get this far using Linux. I fix scooters. Not a programmer. Just a user.

Code:
    timeout 10
    color cyan/blue white/blue
    foreground ffffff
    background 0639a1

gfxmenu /boot/grub/message

title		Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.34-stevo
    root		(hd1,4)
    kernel		/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.34-stevo root=UUID=fc2d5f0c-f1f8-4976-a315-121c4ad2b977 ro nosplash quiet 
    initrd		/boot/initrd.img-2.6.34-stevo

title		Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.34-stevo (init-3)
    root		(hd1,4)
    kernel		/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.34-stevo root=UUID=fc2d5f0c-f1f8-4976-a315-121c4ad2b977 ro nosplash quiet 3
    initrd		/boot/initrd.img-2.6.34-stevo

title antiX at hdd5, kernel 2.6.32-1-mepis-smp
    root (hd1,4)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-1-mepis-smp root=/dev/hdd5 nomce quiet nosplash vga=791 
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-1-mepis-smp
    boot

title Microsoft Windows XP Professional at hda1
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1

### BEGIN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST
    ## lines between the AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST markers will be modified
    ## by the debian update-grub script except for the default options below

## DO NOT UNCOMMENT THEM, Just edit them to your needs

## ## Start Default Options ##
    ## default kernel options
    ## default kernel options for automagic boot options
    ## If you want special options for specific kernels use kopt_x_y_z
    ## where x.y.z is kernel version. Minor versions can be omitted.
    ## e.g. kopt=root=/dev/hda1 ro
    ##      kopt_2_6_8=root=/dev/hdc1 ro
    ##      kopt_2_6_8_2_686=root=/dev/hdc2 ro
    # kopt=root=UUID=fc2d5f0c-f1f8-4976-a315-121c4ad2b977 ro
    # kopt_2_6=root=UUID=fc2d5f0c-f1f8-4976-a315-121c4ad2b977 ro nosplash quiet

## default grub root device
    ## e.g. groot=(hd0,0)
    # groot=(hd1,4)

## should update-grub create alternative automagic boot options
    ## e.g. alternative=true
    ##      alternative=false
    # alternative=true

## should update-grub lock alternative automagic boot options
    ## e.g. lockalternative=true
    ##      lockalternative=false
    # lockalternative=false

## additional options to use with the default boot option, but not with the
    ## alternatives
    ## e.g. defoptions=vga=791 resume=/dev/hda5
    # defoptions=

## should update-grub lock old automagic boot options
    ## e.g. lockold=false
    ##      lockold=true
    # lockold=false

## Xen hypervisor options to use with the default Xen boot option
    # xenhopt=

## Xen Linux kernel options to use with the default Xen boot option
    # xenkopt=console=tty0

## altoption boot targets option
    ## multiple altoptions lines are allowed
    ## e.g. altoptions=(extra menu suffix) extra boot options
    ##      altoptions=(single-user) single
    # altoptions=(init-3) 3

## controls how many kernels should be put into the menu.lst
    ## only counts the first occurence of a kernel, not the
    ## alternative kernel options
    ## e.g. howmany=all
    ##      howmany=7
    # howmany=all

## should update-grub create memtest86 boot option
    ## e.g. memtest86=true
    ##      memtest86=false
    # memtest86=true

## should update-grub adjust the value of the default booted system
    ## can be true or false
    # updatedefaultentry=false

## should update-grub add savedefault to the default options
    ## can be true or false
    # savedefault=false

## ## End Default Options ##

title		Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.32-1-mepis-smp
    root		(hd1,4)
    kernel		/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-1-mepis-smp root=UUID=fc2d5f0c-f1f8-4976-a315-121c4ad2b977 ro nosplash quiet 
    initrd		/boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-1-mepis-smp

title		Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.32-1-mepis-smp (init-3)
    root		(hd1,4)
    kernel		/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-1-mepis-smp root=UUID=fc2d5f0c-f1f8-4976-a315-121c4ad2b977 ro nosplash quiet 3
    initrd		/boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-1-mepis-smp

title		Debian GNU/Linux, kernel memtest86+
    root		(hd1,4)
    kernel		/boot/memtest86+.bin

title Bruno Puppy Linux 431 frugal sdb1
    rootnoverify (hd1,0)
    kernel /pup431/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd psubdir=pup431 nosmp
    initrd /pup431/initrd.gz

title NOP Puppy Linux 431 frugal sdb2
    rootnoverify (hd1,1)
    kernel /puppy431/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd psubdir=puppy431 acpi=force
    initrd /puppy431/initrd.gz

### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST
    Happy Trails and good luck, Rok
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Quote Originally Posted by ejones View Post
    I plan to divide the 120GB hard drive into a multi-boot system and install theses distributions:

Debian 5.0.6.
    Ubuntu 10.10
    OpenSuse or Linux Mint.

I set the first partition as a 4GB Swap partition common to all distros.
    4GB is probably more swap than you need ... 2 x RAM upto 1GB is about as far as I would go with swap.

Installing Debian then Ubuntu then Mint should leave you with the Mint version of Grub which will have detected other distros and added entries to allow you to boot each (until you do kernel updates at least).

I have ext4 root partitions without a separate boot partition so now use grub2 only ... example entry for chainloading other grub2 menu
    Code:
    menuentry "Show Linux Mint grub menu" {
        echo    Loading configfile Linux Mint grub.cfg ...
        insmod ext2
        set root='(hd1,2)'
        search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 05b93f9d-7ebe-4f1f-969c-07cfcbafdf08
        configfile /boot/grub/grub.cfg
        boot
    }
    Set menuentry text to suit you, setroot= information for the root/boot partition for the distro you want to access and replace uuid info with the uuid for the partition and you should be good to go.

Doing things that way lets you access the grub menu each distro creates - which are usually correctly updated when things like kernel updates happen . For further information see the links yancek posted.

Just Joined!
    Thank YOU! rokytnji yancek Jonathan183 and others.

IT WORKS! After all your help! And a lot of reading...

First post on the Ubuntu 10.10 installation

On Drive sda 120GB drive I have
    sda1 4GB swap
    sda2 40GB ext4 /home
    sda3 10G ext4 / Ubuntu
    sda4 extension
    sda5 10GB ext3 / OpenSuse
    sda6 10GB ext4 / Debian
    sda7 10GB ext4 / Linux Mint

sdb1 100MB System Reserved Win7
    sdb2 250GB NTFS Win7 and data space

sbc 320GB NTFS Data Storage

How I got there:

Machine BIOS boot drive is sdb 250GB.

On the 120GB (Linux) drive:
    1 - created new partition table.

2 - created sda1 4GB swap drive

3 - created sda2 40GB /home ext4 partition

4 - created sda3 10GB /share (really a holding place for Ubuntu

5 - created sda4 remain free space as extension partition

6 - created sda5 10GB ext3 and installed OpenSuse. It also reformatted /home to ext3 - Oh well? It wrote a MBR to sda

7 - created sda6 10GB ext4 and installed Debian. It also reformatted /home back to ext4. and over wrote the MBR on sda ??? In some of the research I read not to worry Ubuntu would fix it at the end.

8 - created sda7 10GB ext4 and installed Linux Mint. While at the partition program I tried to change the boot record to sba. Mint refused and forced me to install to sdb. Its a "play" so I accepted it and completed the install. When I rebooted for the first time I got a GRUB menu that listed all the Linux install plus the Win7. When checked all booted as expected. - WOW. 3 days and something is working right. Wished I had chosen to use Linux Mint as primary Linux instead of Ubuntu -----

9 - Returned to sda3 reformatted the partition. Noticed at the bottom of the page that the boot record was set to sda. Made the change to sdb and started the install. Then Murphy jumps in! about half way through the install it fails. After 3 attempts I decided to burn a new install CD. Of course when I went to the other machine I found I had deleted my ISO download so I downloaded it again. Finally I got it installed but when I attempted booting Linux Mint booted up. A forced sda boot got me to Ubuntu. Then I knew I had failed to select sdb to write the boot record. Made one more install be double sure to select sdb as the boot drive and IT WORKS!

I will use individual distros for future questions

Thanks again
    eddie

Just Joined!
    IT WORKS! After all your help! And a lot of reading...
    Yet another "GOT YA!"

When installing the distros on their individual partitions I failed to select the common /home so each distro created its on /home partition with in the / partition that was setup.

Just finished another rebuild without OpenSuse. It is determined to use all available space regardless on my attempts to limit the partition size.

Linux is certainly a "Dr Jeckle/Mr. Hyde" experience!
    eddie

Yet another "GOT YA!"

eddie

That would be Suse in my opinion, I just think Suse has too many highly visible features/bugs.

You can change to /home partition problem after you get everything installed correctly. Basically, you delete the /home partition that got created by default and then add your "master /home" partition to /etc/fstab, mount it and it's all good.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

When installing the distros on their individual partitions I failed to select the common /home so each distro created its on /home partition with in the / partition that was setup.

Just finished another rebuild without OpenSuse. It is determined to use all available space regardless on my attempts to limit the partition size.

eddie
    Do you mean a separate home partition or a separate folder on /home ... You can cure either without a reinstall. Actually when I install a distro these days I do it with a root and swap only. I setup home partition manually after the install.

It looks as though you probably need to select create partition setup during the opensuse install to use existing partitions and not have openSuSE try to resize an existing partition to make room for it

Just Joined!
    I managed to install the 4 distros and spent the weekend trying to get Debian Lenny to submit. Threw my hands up in disgust last night.

Tonight I booted up teh Ubuntu 10.10 and had a good time playing with it.

How can i back-up the Ubuntu install so I can clean the hard drive and just have the Ubuntu install on it?

Or can I use gparted and remove all but the swap / and /home then increase the size of /home? The Ubuntu install is in sda7 part of an extended partition.

Thanks
    eddie

Linux Guru
    In your earlier post, you indicated you had swap on sda1, /home on sda2 and that you had set aside sda3 for Ubuntu. Is that the way you finally installed? Did you install the Ubuntu Grub to the mbr.

If that is what you did, the simplest thing to do would be to either format your logical partitions and replace them with data partitions.

You could also delete the logical partitions, sda5, sda6, sda7 and create one logical partition for data. create a mount point in Ubuntu and put an entry for each in /etc/fstab directory .

If your home partition is on sda2 and Ubuntu on sda3, resizing will be a problem because your system files are on the contiguous partition (sda3).

Last option is to start all over, re-install and reformat and just install Ubuntu with whatever partitions you want, /, /home, swap?

Post back if you need specific instructions on what you would like to do and I am sure someone will be able to give specific instructions.

Live Disk is the anwser! When you get sick of that in one day Dual boot!

A live disk is put in your CD Rom and then you boot with it. I tried virtual machines on XP pro and could not get it to work the same way twice. Dual booting is the way to go and the Distro Installers are VERY windows friendly. They even offer to re-install your windows MBR if you want. Once you get the ins and outs of Linux and a printer to work on it ,it is easier than windows but without the security issues and with free applications that are at least as good and usually better than MS.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast