Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Looks like I just might need to try it. The Lubuntu install seems to hang with an empty screen after just a minute or so after starting the install. Any ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Looks like I just might need to try it. The Lubuntu install seems to hang with an empty screen after just a minute or so after starting the install.

Any suggestions on what might be going on?

puppy will run nicely on that machine and you will find a lot of good apps in puppy
    vector will run good too
    there is also damn small linux, feather linux and Beatrix

Check if you have downloaded the correct ISO, means acc. to your processor architecture, 32 bit or 64 bit. Along with it do the md5 check for the ISO to find if it's broken or corrupt.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Tried Puppy to but no luck. Stopped early in the install after perhaps 2 minutes.
    Does it help to update the firmware of the laptop?

Btw I tested the RAM for errors but it seemed fine.

Linux Guru
    The Lubuntu install seems to hang with an empty screen after just a minute or so after starting the install.

Any suggestions on what might be going on?
    When I did my Antix install. I first ran live and used Gparted to make a swap partition of 752 MB. This keeps Gui install from bogging down. You probably have to do the same with Lubuntu with 256MB of ram. You might have to do the same with puppy install also.

Just Joined!
    I wonder what are the guyz saying . Ubuntu 10.10 will not kill PIII 256 ram .
    I have same specs PC which runs Ubuntu fine (yes slower ) .

I am using Lubuntu and it has absloutly no problem .

I suggest you Lubuntu which is actually Ubuntu under the hood

Just Joined!
    check your disc integrity . Make sure you burnt disc with lowest possible speed
    Sorry for double post

Which desktop yu run depends on how it runs. Gnome uses a lot of ram, lxde not as much. yes, the kernal is the same, but Ubuntu uses gnome and lubuntu uses lxde.

Just Joined!
    I got Puppy to install by passing the boot option acpi=off. But when I restared after installing, I got a kernel panic message suggesting I should try passing "init= option" to the kernel.

Any suggestions?

Roky, I think you are right about setting up the swap partition before installing. Do I just boot live, create 3 partitions and start over?
    I would prefer to install Lubuntu so I wont mind running through this again.

Partitions:
    /dev/sda1 2Gb
    /dev/sda2 300 Mb SWAP
    /dev/sda3 Rest for files (26 Gb)

Linux Guru
    I would give /dev/sda1 a minimum of 4 gig. for / "root". You need / to have room to breath for updates.
    300 MB for swap is a bit weak also. 512 MB would be better. You have the room also.
    The rest of drive can be labled as /home.

Any ways. That is what I would do.

On the puppy error. Instead of doing a full install. Go for the frugal. Puppy only needs about 5 gig of space also for a frugal install.
    Also. Some of the newer Puppy distros kernels don't play well with older Hardware. For example. My IBM A22m. I ended up installing Puppy Dingo 4 instead of Puppy 5 on it because of "can't find sfs" boot errors. I dual boot AntiX 8.5 and Puppy Dingo 4 on that IBM A22m laptop successfully. Run Firefox 4 and Kazahakese Browser in Dingo also beside older SeaMonkey.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast