Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Hi all, I have an old HP Omnibook XE3 that I want to use for P2P, Sopcast, viewing videos etc. I wanted to set up Ubuntu og Kubuntu but was ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Recommended Linux distro for HP Omnibook XE3 (PIII 1GHz)

Hi all,

I have an old HP Omnibook XE3 that I want to use for P2P, Sopcast, viewing videos etc.
    I wanted to set up Ubuntu og Kubuntu but was not sure if the laptop could handle it.

What do you guys think? Which distro would suit me best?

By the way, I have used Linux at home for the last 5 years...

p3 1ghz should be fine, but it will depend on memory, how much do you have?

for ubuntu/kubuntu, minimum 512, but to run with no problem you need 1gb, xubuntu should run pretty nicely in 512m

for less, we'll have to discuss

please post specs about memory and graphics card

Just Joined!
    256Mb ram and 30 GB disc. Maybe this laptop is to old for what I want to use it for?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    I use AntiX on a IBM A22m with those specs.

It will do all you need to do using Debian testing repositories and synaptic package manager included also.

P.S. Watching Monday Night football on it right now.

http://www.espa.tv/embed.php?channel...780&height=560

Edit: They killed my link!
    Last edited by rokytnji; 10-26-2010 at 05:27 AM.

I would agree with Roky. AntiX8.5 or Puppy linux is what I ran on an old P3 500 with 384 MB ram. You might try the new Mint lxde to see how it does also.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the suggestions guys!
    Which one of these distros for older computer do you think is most active/has most support?

Just Joined!
    I would recommend a ubuntu distro. The new 10.10 is awesome.

Go to distrowatch.com, hit the search button at the top center, then scroll down to Search by distribution criteria, and enter older computer and any other requirements you have. Their search function will suggest several of the hundreds of distros they have on file. One of the search criteria can be "actively supported"

Just Joined!
    Based on the page hit rank at Distrowatch the most active distros for old computers are Puppy and Lubuntu. VectorLinux isn't far behind though but AntiX is a bit less popular it seems.

I'm now leaning towards Lubuntu since I have used Kubuntu for a few years and been happy with it. I just hope the laptop can handle it.

Any objections?

Quote Originally Posted by praveenkv1988 View Post
    I would recommend a ubuntu distro. The new 10.10 is awesome.
    I hope you have carefully read his laptop's specs, 256 Mb RAM, with Ubuntu 10.10 it will die.

Quote Originally Posted by upstreamfish View Post
    Based on the page hit rank at Distrowatch the most active distros for old computers are Puppy and Lubuntu. VectorLinux isn't far behind though but AntiX is a bit less popular it seems.

I'm now leaning towards Lubuntu since I have used Kubuntu for a few years and been happy with it. I just hope the laptop can handle it.

Any objections?
    No objections mate, if you are comfy with Ubuntu, then Lubuntu seems good, though you shouldn't expect snappier response with 256Mb of RAM.
    If you have time you may pay a visit to DistroWatch.com: SliTaz GNU/Linux, it's a darn solid but sweet contender for light weight distros.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast