Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey Guys So here is my story I have a primary laptop with Windows 7 and I generally use ubuntu/fedora on vmware inside it.. I play around with them.. i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    its
    Just Joined!

Red face Suggest a distro as per my needs plz

Hey Guys

So here is my story

I have a primary laptop with Windows 7 and I generally use ubuntu/fedora on vmware inside it..

I play around with them.. i can I am know my basic commands etc there... I am not a hater/lover of any OS.. so

recently I have lost 2 golden opportunities for a job because in my final interviews.. they asked some very basic linux questions.. which i screwed up as i couldn't remember cause i had not used them much.. and I am a junior sys admin..

Now this has made me think to go the other way round.. install linux as primary OS with windows 7 in virtualbox in it..

My usage is

1) Everyday web / email / movies (basically entertainment)
    2) learning command and playing with the system..
    3) being sys admin i encounter linux everyday and want to enhance my skills ..

Now I am totally ducted between Ubuntu and Fedora.. don't know which one to take.. I was inclined towards CentOS as well but dropping that as fedora / ubuntu has more support and drivers compatible etc.. as per my readings

Please help me decide a system so that i can learn and enhance my sys admin and linux skills..

Just to add I am not a total n00b.. I know how to install / config / partition / setup server / basic stuff.. but as I don't use it everyday I forget and thus i need to practice and keep myself toed..

Ta

In your case, I would probably go for fedora.
    Because it is close to RedHat/CentOS.
    And chances are high, that you will encounter RedHat/CentOS in a professional environment.

So why not directly RedHat/CentOS?
    Because they are tailored for servers.
    On a desktop or laptop you will probably have various issues as missing wlan, sound etc.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

its
    Just Joined!
    thanks.. i was also thinking the same

was just a confusion between ubuntu and fedora as i see ubuntu becoming most famous amoung users for its home usage compatibility these days .. so bit confused..

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Well, it is entirely possible that you will encounter ubuntu/suse/debian/<whatever> servers.

But you have to start somewhere, and for that RedHat/CentOS is surely not a bad choice, as it is widely used.

The good thing is:
    Once you got started with unix it doesnt really matter which one you work on.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

I would second Irithori for going with Fedora.
    Now Fedora14 is out too.
    Put CentOS as a virtual machine on your Fedora install and you are ready to go both ways