Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've been allowed to work on the server of a forum. I was given the username and password, and with them logged in successfully on the server using PuTTY, but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Using PuTTY to connect to a forum's server

I've been allowed to work on the server of a forum. I was given the username and password, and with them logged in successfully on the server using PuTTY, but now I'm not sure what command I use to do anything to the users on the forum For example how would I change someone's username or password, etc. Can someone provide me with a list of commands like this please?

Just Joined!
    Well the usernames for users of the forums will be stored in a database. You need to find out what type of database the server uses.

If it is mysql then you could use mysqladmin to perform queries on the database... But... if you are not experienced with databases or console based applications then you may be better off finding out if the server has phpmyadmin installed and use that web interface to change usernames.

Better still, can't you use the forums admin panel to change users information?

Just Joined!
    Please don't take this suggestion as rude, but considerring that there are probably hundreds of different forum software solutions on the net, your best place to start is the manuals specific to your forum that you are working on.

Quote Originally Posted by ni_boy View Post
    Please don't take this suggestion as rude, but considerring that there are probably hundreds of different forum software solutions on the net, your best place to start is the manuals specific to your forum that you are working on.
    @TheShadowed
    Hello and Welcome to the forums.
    @ni_boy
    Agreed and the other best place to start would be with the person who gave you a username and password.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.