Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm new to linux so bear with me please I'm trying to install some drivers so my wireless connection will work and Ive got the genereal gist of how ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Post Cannot find 'hardware drivers' folder

Hi, I'm new to linux so bear with me please

I'm trying to install some drivers so my wireless connection will work and Ive got the genereal gist of how to do it, however Im stuck on a fairly trivial step...I cannot find the Hardware drivers folder! Everywhere tells me to look system>Administration>Hardware Drivers...but its not there.

(I'm running 10.10 on a HP mini 1001)

Thanks

ved
    Take risks: if you win, you will be happy; if you lose, you will be wise.
    New Users : Read This First

In Ubuntu 10.10, it was renamed to "Additional Drivers". It basically can help you install non-free (proprietary) 3rd party drivers for some graphics cards and wireless chipsets. You will need a working wired connection for this to work.

If you still have problems, the above link will provide us the info we need to troubleshoot.

Just Joined!

OKay so ive had a look at the link etcetc. Thanks for posting that, but ive still not got anywhere.

Heres what I get from the terminal:

Code:
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GME Express Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GME Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
    00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)
    00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 2 (rev 02)
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
    00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
    00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
    00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
    00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev e2)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)
    00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) IDE Controller (rev 02)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family SMBus Controller (rev 02)
    01:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY (rev 01)
    02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller
    I now know its an error with the firmware and I need some drivers.

Code:
    b43-phy0 ERROR: youmust go to ('b43 support website')
    So I looked at that and apparently need b43/wl driver for my wireless, but I have no idea where to get it

Ive also found out that my ethernet connection doesnt work either...

Just Joined!
    please be more accurate.

you're not running linux 10.10

linux is just the kernel, so you are probably running Ubuntu GNU/Linux 10.10

the linux kernel handles the hardware. the drivers are usually compiled as modules, available with the source (found in /usr/src/linux)

GNU is the set of tools that allow you to work on your computer: display files in folders, make directory, compile software, burn CDs..

Ubuntu 10.10 is the distribution. the main thing it will do is to make software available in a "simple manner" (or at least they pretend so). this includes a linux kernel and its modules, GNU and non-GNU software.

maybe you can just do
    Code:
    apt-cache search b43
    if the driver is not made available by your distribution, you might have to get the kernel sources (probably called kernel-sources or something similar), and maybe patch that.

if it says << you must go to ('b43 support website') >> then I guess that's the thing you have to do... just RTFM

Quote Originally Posted by petaflot View Post

if it says << you must go to ('b43 support website') >> then I guess that's the thing you have to do... just RTFM
    Be nice. This stuff can be confusing when you're starting out.

@Hackysack

For the wired, let's see if the driver is loading. Post the output of
    Code:
    lsmod | grep sk
    For the wireless, there are two possibilities. The first is using the b43 driver, which, as you saw needs firmware. Support for this card with b43 is relatively new.

The second is the Broadcom STA driver, released by Broadcom. This is not pre-installed, but it available from the installation CD, and therefore does not require an internet connection. Instructions here.

Just Joined!

B43 drivers

B43 drivers shouldn't be an issue go to hardware drivers in admin and they will be automatically downloaded if your on the Internet. If I,am understanding you right you can,t get on the internet even wired directly. Try running the 10.10 cd live and see if you have the same problem "wired" that is. If you still cannot connect burn a new cd at a slower speed. I have read high speed burns causes problems.