Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Setting up a linux network in my lab

Hi everyone ... good morning !

I work in a small research lab in my college and we work on Windows. I am planning to switch all the computers into Linux create a network.

This is a small job in the first step. I need to hook up 3 computers together such that they all communicate with a central computer (server). The users will have to log on to their accounts and run their work from the central server, be able to run applications (vlsi, CAD) stuff from the server. I (as root) should be able to take backups (using crontab I guess) and be able to create new users, administer.

Can anyone direct me to a manual or a website or a previous post that goes through these steps. I searched the forums and was lost in my effort

I only have used Linux on a standalone PC and have never networked before. Your advice will be appreciated

Thank you !!

Dorm Room, America
    a bit of googling got me these things:

Debian Linux Networking and Network Tutorial On How To Set up A Linux Network
    Linux Network Administrators Guide
    Basic Network Setup

hope these help! they might be more about networks than anything, but it looks like they have some good examples. let me know if they help!

@aluminiumspleen Thanks. I came across some links when I googled but I got so lost in the jargon. I shall look into what you sent and get back to you.

4. $spacer_open