Find the answer to your Linux question:
So I got a new laptop pre-installed with Windows 7 I installed Ubuntu 10.4 from Windows using Wubi and I'm amazed -- everything works flawlessly. I read a few users ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wubi was a success... now what?

So I got a new laptop pre-installed with Windows 7
    I installed Ubuntu 10.4 from Windows using Wubi and I'm amazed -- everything works flawlessly. I read a few users complaining about missing drivers in similar machines as mine (Lenovo ideapad Y560); but maybe they have a few different parts.

My hard drive contains almost 500GB but the maximum I could select for the Wubi installation was 30GB. I'm thinking of getting rid of Windows completely, I really don't need it if everything works with Ubuntu. I have two questions:

1. Does having Ubuntu working perfectly right away with the Wubi installation, mean that a fresh stand alone installation will work with no problems as well?

2. What's the easiest way now to get rid of Windows and have Ubuntu installed on the entire HD?

Thanks a lot!
    Mike

Do you already know the proper way to do a wubi uninstall first? Are you planning on backing up anything on your Ubuntu wubi install (like pictures, music, etc...)

I first would make a system recovery DVD of Windows 7 before doing anything. I don't use Windows. But I at least used dd to clone a image of my Windows XP install to external 8 GIG flash drive before I installed AntiX on my 701SD ( it only has a 8gig SSD hardrive. So no room for dual boot)

Finally. I would start out with a dual boot with your specs. You have the room on your Hardrive to do that. But that is up to you.

1. Does having Ubuntu working perfectly right away with the Wubi installation, mean that a fresh stand alone installation will work with no problems as well?
    Maybe. Not sure till you try.

2. What's the easiest way now to get rid of Windows and have Ubuntu installed on the entire HD?
    Ubuntu installer when running live cd defaults to installing to entire drive. So that is easiest.

Dual Boot Your Pre-Installed Windows 7 Computer with Ubuntu - How-To Geek

You can give Ubuntu more than 10GB from what the how to says.

I stongly recommend making your system recovery media before starting though.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Thanks a lot for your help.