Find the answer to your Linux question:
First of all, im currently using windows 7, and while im very satisfied with it, i cant help looking for something aside it, maybe even for replacement in the further ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Choosing lite linux distro for T41 laptop

First of all, im currently using windows 7, and while im very satisfied with it, i cant help looking for something aside it, maybe even for replacement in the further future.

Experience? Used ubuntu a little, few days ago tried booting with puppy linux on usb drive.

I was amazed by its speed, since everything runs in ram, its not comparable with w7. That is the key feature im looking for.

I know, that the most common recommendation here, is to "try out different *nix based OS-es and find the one that suits".

I hope i can rely on other people experience, who have comparable system and silmilar hopes.

What i expect?

-working infrared
    -speedstep
    -hibernation?!
    -support for canon camera
    -ACPI (crucial, since t41 has "fan always on" issue)
    -quick boot
    -constant saving (puppy saves data to memory, which is a problem is power-cut happens)

Im sure puppy can fill out most of these requirements, but still im looking word from you guys.

Ive heard a lot good about algo zenwalk, vector, MijnPup, igelle...

Oh, maybe even tinycore will work...

There are simply so many of them, but i would like to sort out one which has periodical updates and has fulfilled my requirements. Also, Gnome interface would be nice.

I state that, i wont be needing bundled software, because i can get what i want later on and i don't want excess trouble uninstalling software.

Sorry for long (and typical?) post, but maybe some of you can give me few pointers and your own experience with some of them?

AntiX worked well for me on an old T23 I used until a couple of months ago.

Macpup and AntiX are the current installs on my IBM t23. I know that T41 has different hardware than a T23. So your milege may vary.

Linux Mint Debian might be the bees knees for you also. I've had good luck with regular Mint Linux on other Laptops with better specs. But I am partial to AntiX on my EEEPCs,Desktops,and Laptops. But I have lots of practise setting AntiX up to work on my gear.

Just got done doing a MacPup 5.1.1 install on my wireless IBM M41 Motorcycle Shop Desktop computer. Pretty sweet distro also.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Mint with gnome probably wont be as fast as i expect (i checked system requirements and some complained about slowness with gnome), some of other ones will take 10gb hdd space. Light install is nice.

Also its no argument that distro uses very little of my memory.
    I want it to use practically everything i have, like windows 7, if everything is in memory, it will mean less hdd activity -> faster response times. Maybe it is configurable on every distro?

Mint has pretty excellent LXDE and Fluxbox spins, for something lighter than GNOME/KDE.

With any distro, you can configure how likely the system is to swap out RAM, through a property appropriately enough called swappiness. This is a range from 0 to 100, with low numbers meaning the system will prefer to keep things in RAM.

Set by editing the file /etc/sysctl.conf, adding a line
    Code:
    vm.swappiness=X
    Replacing X with the desired value. I believe the default for Ubuntu and probably many distros is 60.

Or are you looking to do a traditional install, or run a live USB/CD and want something that runs in RAM like Puppy?

Just Joined!
    Well, it has to be installed, since i was only testing puppy, as a first op sys to boot from my usb port.
    I dont want to be logged as a root and i dont want to lose my data, because puppy keeps everything in ram, so there has to be some sacs...

If i choose to have most of the data on the ram, does it depend on the distro, how requently copies to the hdd are made, so the data wont be lost?

Puppy and many other live distros have a persistence option, which saves your settings/data on the HD when you shutdown.

Swappiness settings should perform the same on any distro.

Just Joined!
    It seems to come down to rundown of Mint and Lubuntu, Mint might be even easier to handle, and has ubuntu software depositories.

Slackware based systems aren't probably the best choice for newcomer...