Find the answer to your Linux question:
Dear All, I can identify and explain the major number, minor number and revision number. But how can I identify and explain them in Linux kernel 2.5.9.? The following is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Identify and explain the major number, minor number, and revision number in Linu

Dear All,

I can identify and explain the major number, minor number and revision number. But how can I identify and explain them in Linux kernel 2.5.9.?

The following is my stuff, I have found from the textbook:

Major number is used by the kernel to identify which device driver to call to interact properly with a given category of hardware; hard disk drives, CD-ROMs, and video cards are all categories of hardware; similar devices share a commonmajor number.

Minor number is the number used by the kernel to identify which specific hardware device, within a given category, to use a driver to communicate with.

Revision number is the number after the second dot in the version number of a Linux kernel that identifies the certain release number of a kernel.

Cheers,

Per the forum rules, homework questions are not allowed.

If you have a specific conceptual question, we are happy to help. But we do not answer homework questions.