Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am an experienced Windows Server user/admin (over 12 years). I have touched Linux here and there and know my way around the "GUI" portion of it; which is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Moving from Windows Server

Hi,

I am an experienced Windows Server user/admin (over 12 years). I have touched Linux here and there and know my way around the "GUI" portion of it; which is not to say much.

In Windows I am not just a GUI guy and have been using script and command line since the DOS days.

I want to learn Linux Server internals just as I do in Windows Server. Most of the books/guides I find are geared toward moving windows desktop user to Linux. Most linux books that I have come across are not for porting your knowledge from Windows servers to linux but instead they start to teach you linux from abc and then I lose interest because I know the basics.

Any ideas what I should start so that I can pick the right distro for a server, configure it to be a solid server and deploy/manage it appropriately? I plan to use this knowledge at customer sites instead of just at home.

Thanks a bunch.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by DJDJDJDJ View Post
    Any ideas what I should start so that I can pick the right distro for a server, configure it to be a solid server and deploy/manage it appropriately? I plan to use this knowledge at customer sites instead of just at home.
    I think Red Hat (or CentOS) and Debian are probably to two most popular options for server usage, but you can find other recommendations here:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/cof...rs-2010-a.html

As for study material, the O'Reilly books about server administration are usually considered to be good.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thank you Ozar.

There seems to be tons of books on Linux but nothing stands out to be geared toward admins moving from Win Server. Any particular ones you could recommend?

Regards.

Any of the O'Reilly linux books are generally well thought of. There is a book called "Linux for Windows Administrators" available on Amazon, though I have no experience of it, it seems to be rated relatively well.

Windows-to-Linux roadmap: Part 1. Thinking in Linux

markwilson.it A quick introduction to Linux for Windows administrators

Free On-line Linux Technical Books and Tutorials