Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm pretty much as new as they get to Linux, just installed it yesterday for the first time and I'm still trying to get used to it. One thing ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Make the taskbar flash?

Hi, I'm pretty much as new as they get to Linux, just installed it yesterday for the first time and I'm still trying to get used to it. One thing I noticed that's been bothering me is that when I get an IM, instead of the window flashing on my taskbar, the text in the title just gets bolded so I never seem to notice it. Is there any way I could change the notification for those kinds of things to something a bit more noticeable?

It depends on the instant messenger program you're using. In pidgin for example, there are a number of plugins, some of which have to do with notifications.

Ten Must-Have Plug-ins to Power Up Pidgin

Skype always flashed on Windows, which is the main messenger I've been using. I've searched all through the settings and there's nothing I can change on there for that.

Hrm, well, I've never used Skype. From what I could find, it does not support changes to notifications under linux.

Feature request: customizable notifications (like on Windows) - Skype Community

It's a closed source app, so how responsive they are to feature requests I don't know.