Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have no writing privileges for root, user, nor group. After copying Fedora 14 iso image to my USB flash drive, I attempted to take it off to install another ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Changing read-only file permissions from dr-xr-xr-x to drwxr-xr-x

I have no writing privileges for root, user, nor group.

After copying Fedora 14 iso image to my USB flash drive, I attempted to take it off to install another distro for mult-ibooting, but was not able to delete the content. I am stuck with no writing privileges on my USB drive.

Here is what may have caused it. When removing the content that was on it before to a /data directory, I accidentally removed the flash drive title = 4003-6F40. So I have directory 4003-6F40 in my /data file. Then after copying Fedora-14 to USB, Fedora-14 is now acting as the title of my USB pen.

(Side note: I never installed using my USB pen because it was before I learned of syslinux, which is what brought me to this issue now that I am trying again to use my USB to install.)

I have only found information on this topic for Windows related problems.

Does anyone know how to restore writing privileges to a user?
    Last edited by aretudeetu; 11-22-2010 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Appropriate title

Linux Enthusiast
    Hi there,

There are two possible things that could be causing you your problem. First of all changing permissions is a job for chmod.

Code:
    chris@angua:~/dev/scratch$ ls -l | grep tmp
    dr-xr-xr-x 2 chris chris    4096 2008-11-29 16:34 tmp
    chris@angua:~/dev/scratch$ chmod u+w tmp
    chris@angua:~/dev/scratch$ ls -l | grep tmp
    drwxr-xr-x 2 chris chris    4096 2008-11-29 16:34 tmp
    u+w adds write permission for the owner. You could also specify exact permissions and do it recursively. See the man pages for chmod for more details.

You may also have the device mounted read-only. If the above doesn't work then try (as root)
    Code:
    mount -o remount,rw <path to usb filesystem>
    I don't have a device to check that mount command with, but if it doesn't work then the mount man page should be able to help.

Let us know how you get on.
    To be good, you must first be bad. "Newbie" is a rank, not a slight.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the reply.

chmod still isn't working for this problem. I tried the other fix, but no go.

Tried the /proc/mounts but not allowed to make changes even with sudo gedit. I tried to change 'ro' to 'rw', but probably caused more incompatibilities so it was not allowed.

Although it shows as 'ro' in /proc/mounts, it shows as 'rw' in /etc/mtab

I still have my old flash drive title '4003-6F40' and trying to switch back over to that but no luck.

I will keep reading the man pages to see if I can find more clues.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    After copying Fedora 14 iso image
    to my USB flash drive,
    What did you do exactly? Use Fedora USB Creator to have a bootable installation USB of Fedora?
    Did you install Fedora to the USB?
    You didn't just copy the iso image to the USB?

Just Joined!
    Yeah. I copied image to USB through command. Been a week or two, so don't exactly remember which command I used.

Linux Enthusiast
    When you say it doesn't work, can you give us more details. An actual copy of the commands you use and the errors that come up when you try would be best.

Let us know how you get on.
    To be good, you must first be bad. "Newbie" is a rank, not a slight.

Just Joined!
    I am able to use the same computer. I am currently using Mint Julia.

I did manage to fix it by just using G-parted and completely remove everything and create a new partition table and partition and label it USB.

I had to change permissions.

jason@frogger /media $ sudo ls -l | grep USB
    [sudo] password for jason:
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 2010-11-22 19:08 USB
    jason@frogger /media $ sudo chmod g+w USB
    jason@frogger /media $ sudo chown jason:jason -R USB
    jason@frogger /media $ ls -l | grep USB
    drwxrwxr-x 3 jason jason 4096 2010-11-22 19:08 USB
    Before I was trying to change the 'ro' (currently 'rw') in this line from /etc/mtab when it was still owned by fedora-due to my negligence.
    /dev/sdc1 /media/USB ext2 rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks 0 0
    After using G-parted, everything should be fine since I was able to change permissions.

I may have to go back and change the partition type in the USB though. That will be something I will have to study on.

EDIT:

Yes, I was trying to follow the Fedora's tutorial as USB as installation source.
    Last edited by aretudeetu; 11-23-2010 at 01:25 AM.