Find the answer to your Linux question:
Just having a look round for a decent email server software - i seem to like this (personal preference) but if any1 out there has had problems at all with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

any1 used extremail??

Just having a look round for a decent email server software - i seem to like this (personal preference) but if any1 out there has had problems at all with it or can recommend a better software please let me know

Going to be used in an office environment (14computers) all running Win2k (yuk) with outlook as the client machines

Thanks

Linux Guru
    It seems suspicious IMHO. I can't really trust a server that implements SMTP, POP3 and IMAP in the same binary. I haven't heard of it before either (that might be just me, though), so I suspect that its user base isn't too large.

Why don't you use the standard programs instead? There is sendmail/qmail/postfix for SMTP, and eg. the WU suite for POP3 and/or IMAP.

Just Joined!
    Im after a POP3 Server for incoming and the ISP provides SMTP for outgoing only.

Will any program be able to handle it - (thats why i was kinda leaning towards extremail)

IE can sendmail or WU suite (i have no idea what 'WU suite' is) support both POP3/SMTP

Thanks

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    I'm not sure exactly what kind of setup you want to have.
    sendmail acts as a MTA (Mail Transport Agent), and recieves mails via SMTP. It then stores the mails in the users' mail spool files in /var/spool/mail.
    The WU suite (WU is Washington University) has a few programs for client interaction. It has daemons for POP2, POP3 and IMAP4. It might have even more, but those are the ones I remember off the top of my head. The POP3 daemon will take the mails out of the users' mail spool files and deliver them to the final MUA (Mail User Agent) that requested them. All the WU daemons are supposed to run over inetd or xinetd.
    sendmail normally uses procmail to actually deliver the mails to the spool files, so if you want to, you can also configure procmail to filter the mail through spamassassin.

I don't understand what your ISP has with this to do, though. What is your setup?

Just Joined!
    At the moment we have a windows mail server running for POP3 incoming messages and that same email server has SMTP for all outgoing messages (our ISP is for outgoing and our website host for incoming)

I need to be able to mirror this setup onto a new linux sever (basically im sick of windows).

I have been playing round with linux (Red Hat 7.20 for only a couple of months now but am confindent with SMB, telnet admin & Webmin (basic stuff)

Im currently running a test computer at home before i start screwing round with my works computers.

The setup at the moment is the mail server downloaind all mail from a 'catchall' account then, using the alias of the domain name delivering to the local mail boxes.

Which then in turn is downloaded by the clients (win2k - Outlook) to there local machines

I dont really want t oplay round with the client side of things and im quite happy to ave Outlook as the default mail client in the office.

Thanks for all your help - i hope this will make a touch more clear on my plans

Linux Guru
    It sure does, but I don't really understand why you use your ISP for outgoing mail. Why don't you just send it directly yourselves?
    But then there's really no problem, anyway. Just use sendmail/postfix/qmail (you choose, it doesn't really matter in the way that they all perform the same function) for SMTP, and the WU suite or whatever suits your needs for the client interaction. It's probably a much more stable solution than extremail.

Just Joined!
    Right time to get serious -

I have spent hrs on the internet just reading everything i can about all 3 (sendmail, postfix and qMail) and have come to the conclusion that its qMail im going to go with.

Just looks a tad easier to install and setup than the other 2. Plus im cocerned about security with the mail server and read some disturbing stuff about sendmail.

Well wish me luck as im going into the unknown. (I know il probably be back here for help)

Thanks for all your help Dolda2000.

Linux Guru
    I'll give a quote from vous:

Dear neo,

on this memorable occassion in which you will begin the journey that will lead you to total server configuration, I invoke the powers of the mighty penguin to be bestowed upon you, the strength of the sea to lift you up when you fall, and the assurance from Apollo that just as the sun comes out triumphantly every morning in the horizons for all of us to see, so will you.

Courage brave one!