Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Was looking to finally replace windows with linux as my main Os on my desktop sometime this year but I haven't settled on a distro yet and was looking for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help me pick a linux distro!

Was looking to finally replace windows with linux as my main Os on my desktop sometime this year but I haven't settled on a distro yet and was looking for some tips

for starters im working on an amd64 platform, ati 4870 gpu, and 8gb of ram.

Im fairly well versed in linux and terminal commands so I don't mind digging in, with the exception of difficult installations, manual installs are always a nightmare for me haha.

Main use for my desktop are multimedia, including high def videos (mostly mkv), mp3, flac, video streaming, and also files on a NAS drive. I also do a lot of talking on my pc (pidgin will take care of most of that) and use ventrilo daily so obviously I will need wine but I can install that if it doesn't come pre-installed. other than that I will be doing quite a bit of web browsing (I prefer opera and chromium over firefox) and some ducoment editing and syncing here and there

as far as desktop experiences I am a fan of xfce and openbox (and conky!), I don't care too much for gnome or kde. compiz would be nice but not an absolute must. I don't use multiple desktops very often either.

as for distros ive tried in the past, I'm not a fan of ubuntu, open suse is ok, not a fan of redhat or fedora, mint is ok if it didn't break something every time I updated, and I'm a HUGE fan of crunchbang.

other things that might help; I like apt over yum, and deb over rpm

lastly, im looking for a longterm & stable install here (with or without regular updates).

any tips would be helpful even if it's a link to another thread.

Thanks guys!

Hello and Welcome.
    In my opinion the best way is to simply pick one and download it...take it for a spin around the block and decide if you like it or not. Distro Watch is always a good place to start.
    DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.
    You can also use this little quiz to help you pick a Distro...it's a pretty nifty little tool and it's surprisingly good.
    zegenie Studios Linux Distribution Chooser
    Good Luck and do let us know how it goes.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    actually that quiz looks like the kind of help I was looking for! thanks!

Just Joined!
    well the top suggestion it gave me was mint. I actually do like mint other than the fact that when I was using it I avoided updating because it would almost always break one or more drivers. I'll have to give it a whirl in a VM to see if things are more reliable now maybe?

if not mint I'll probably go with debian; haven't tried it yet, but from everything I've heard and read about it, it should suite me well.

if anyone has any other suggestions feel free to chime in!

Mint is a fine distro and it's the current top choice in our poll here.
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/cof...rs-2011-a.html
    Debian is very good too, can't go wrong with either choice really.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    looks like they just released a "debian version" of mint. I'm gonna try that in a virtual machine and ill let you guys know how it goes!

thanks for the help mike!

Just Joined!
    I prefer Debian based systems, myself. I haven't tested Debian Mint yet, though I've heard good stuff about it. I will have to give it a run in my distro hopper machine...

You could always give Debian Net Install a go...Just install the apps that you want. That's what I did for my server, after I dumped slitaz.

Welcome to the forums. It sounds like you already have your feet wet, and pretty much know what you like. Mint debian edition sounds like a good choice for you. Good luck!
    Registered Linux user #526930

Linux Newbie
    I personal like Ubuntu the bets Mint is my second choice. but before you switch why don't you install virtual box on your Windoz machine and try a few of them out to see how you like them before you switch. I think Ubuntu and Mint are the same thing other than some different menu layouts.

Just Joined!
    been working on linux mint debian and im liking it so far. Working through some issues to get it tailored more towards openbox instead of gnome; try as I might I will never be able to work on another linux distro unless the interface is like crunchbang's.

some snags here and there but won't be long before I have most of the stuff setup to install a daul boot and ween myself off of bill gates' legacy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast