Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'll try to make this short. I'm a newbie to linux but I know a .bin file is an executable file type in linux. We have an error after installing ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How do I extract a Bin file ?

I'll try to make this short. I'm a newbie to linux but I know a .bin file is an executable file type in linux. We have an error after installing it and it referes to a file name and a line number within the file. I'm trying to find out if the file is part of the .bin file but I need a way to see what's inside of it or extract it. Any advice on how to do that ? I have a copy of Ubuntu 10 if that helps at all.

Thanks in advance,
    Scott

Probably not inside it as a separate file, more likely one of the source files. You would need the source code to find the line.

The most likely reason for the error is either because of unmet dependencies or a bug in the program. If you know programming, you might be able to track down the bug, if there is one. If not, try contacting the developer.

But it doesn't necessarily have to be a binary file. Try opening it in a text editor. If you can read what's in this file then it's just an executable text file. If not, you need the sources, indeed.
    Refining Linux Advent calendar: 24 Outstanding ZSH Gems

It's possible, but not likely. Usually executable text files have a .sh extension, not .bin, which normally is a compiled binary file. Anything is possible, of course, but the odds are against it.

Just Joined!
    Have a look at strings and nm, they might give you a clue.

You could also try to post the error-message here, or point to where the binary can be downloaded

Just Joined!
    you open it by typing "./filename.bin" into the command line