Find the answer to your Linux question:
I will be using Linux of some sort for a project now. I know Linux now support Trim, but I suspect Trim support is like in windows world it only ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Best Linux for use with SSD?

I will be using Linux of some sort for a project now.
    I know Linux now support Trim, but I suspect Trim support is like in windows world it only appears without running raid.

I will be running 4 x R0 from start and later when ecconomy is better add 4 more SSD for a total of 8 x R0.

Is all in the kernel or are the some Linux that handle SSD better then other distros?

oz
    forum.guy
    Best Linux for use with SSD?
    Any Linux with a recent kernel in place should work fine with an SSD, but TRIM still doesn't work with RAID setups, the last I heard.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by oz View Post
    Any Linux with a recent kernel in place should work fine with an SSD, but TRIM still doesn't work with RAID setups, the last I heard.
    Well, I don't believe 'discard' works in Linux Mint 13.

When I did my initial install, it took mere seconds to boot. Now it takes about 20 seconds or so.

There is no way to manually do a trim in linux. Hdparm doesn't work because it says danger, it can destroy your OS.

Plus hdparm requires too much knowledge to use it. How many people realistically know the hard drive sectors and cylinders and such for their drive? Not many.

It is getting to the point that I will have to succumb to reformatting, reinstalling, and re-updating my box about every month.

UNLESS, someone can tell me why it got slow and how to speed it back up again.

I tried writeback, but it locked up my box.

So, any and all claims that linux supports TRIM are erroneous at best. Otherwise my box would still be fast.

Just my 2 cents worth.

PS I am using a single SSD drive. Samsung 830 series, 64gb