Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello, I am new to Linux and recently decided to try loading it on an old desktop computer I had lying around. I heard Puppy linux was the easiest to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Puppy 5.2 Internet Connection Help

Hello,
    I am new to Linux and recently decided to try loading it on an old desktop computer I had lying around. I heard Puppy linux was the easiest to use and would help make a slow computer run quicker, which is exactly what I needed. So after following the steps detailed on the Puppy Linux Community site I was able to successfully burn the .iso file to a CD and boot it on my computer. Everything seemed to work fine (although my computer did start to make a lot more noise than when running microsoft, even after I saved it to the hard drive) but I was unable to connect to the internet. I had an ethernet cable running directly from my modem to the tower.
    What I did:
    -Go to the Connect icon on main screen
    -Press the Eth0 button
    What happened:
    -A message saying the connection was successful appeared
    -When I tried to load a page a "DNS cannot authenticate -Page Name-" message appeared at the bottom of the window.

It would be greatly appreciated if anyone could give me a few tips and tricks to help solve this problem. I know I haven't provided much information but if you have any specifics that would be helpful in solving this issue let me know and I will post them here shortly.
    Thanks!

Linux Guru
    I run Puppy 5.2 and decided Barrys Network manager was kinda flaky. You will like the pet package I will recommend.

Puppy Linux Discussion Forum :: View topic - Frisbee Network Manager - Beta 1

Puppy 5.2 Internet Connection Help

I take it one step further by clicking on the DHCP button to test an active connection.

It's one thing to "find" the eth0 port, but the whole story is getting to the internet using the DHCP checking system.

canineloop

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    So I downloaded Frisbee but still couldn't get my connection working, I have even tried switching versions from 5.2 to Wary Puppy 5.0 and still have had no success. In reply to Cainineloop I didn't mention it in my post but I did try to run the DHCP and it told me that the connection was successful, yet every time I tried to load a page I would receive the DNS can't resolve message. This problem persists on the Wary Puppy 5.0 version as well.

Just Joined!
    I ran the OS on a laptop out of curiosity and tried connecting to the internet, I wasn't able to connect wirelessly (probably due to below average computer skills haha) but when I plugged in my ethernet cable my internet is up and running. So It'd be safe to say that the problem is with my computer itself? I set up the OS from the same disk and ran the connection wizard in the same way each time but was only successful on the laptop... any input?

Linux Guru
    Check Bios I guess and see if ethernet is disabled maybe?

Re: Puppy 5.2 Internet Connection Help

At this point, I peek at the ethernet jack to see if the "active" and "link" lights are working while trying to establish a connection. If Puppy "sees" Eth0, the device must be at least physically present. Puppy should know what the model of the network card or chipset is and be able to show you it knows it' present.

Are you going through a router to the internet? If so does it allow Windows to access the 'net? Is it set up to use a fixed IP Address?

Re: Re: Puppy 5.2 Internet Connection Help

you wrote: "I wasn't able to connect wirelessly (probably due to below average computer skills haha)"
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Puppy has a wireless device setup script, too in its connection wizard. If it sees the card, you should be able to set up a connection with it.

If it's not found, you'll have to use the ndiswrapper to "steal" the driver from your Windows iinstall or other sources.

canineloop

Just Joined!

Same problem for me

I'm having the same exact problem as James.
    I'm connecting through an ethernet port.

I'm using a Dell Dimension 2400 that I formatted to clean off Windows XP + junk.
    Ubuntu and Xubuntu automatically detected my internet and it worked fine, but I used a Puppy CD to format and install Lucid Puppy 5.25
    Puppy Network Wizard detects my network card and says connection succesful when I run the tests.
    But when I try to start web-browsing, nothing works.
    It seems typing in IP adresses doesn't work either. (some people with this problem report being able to access sites by typing in their IP's instead of domain names)
    I've done lots of searching and reading and have tried different things, with no luck.

I'm connecting through a router, but the conditions are exactly the same as when I used Windows XP or Ubuntu to connect to the internet.

tl;dr; HELP, I'M LOST

Linux Guru
    DSL

First you should check if the ethernet-interface was detected.
    Start a shell ("Menu | Utility | Rxvt terminal emulator") and enter the following command:
    ifconfig

Can you see "eth0"?

If you can not see "eth0" enter the following command:
    ifconfig eth0 up

To check if the ethernet-interface is available now, enter the following command:
    ifconfig

Now you should see "eth0". Close the shell.
    Start the program "Menu | Network | Roaring Penguin PPPoE".

Press the button "SETUP".

Enter your username (ask your provider), then press the return-key.

Enter the ethernet interface. eth0 is usually correct so you can press the return-key.

At the next question you confirm the default "no" and press the return-key.

Then you have to enter your IP adress. If you get a dynamic IP adress press the return-key only.

Now enter your password (ask your provider).

Enter your password again.

Choose "1" as a "standalone" firewall.

Now you can see your input again. If everything is alrigth press the key "y".

If you want to connect the internet-connection press the button "Start".

A message box opens and you get connected. Press the return-key.

You can now open the Internet browser "Menu | Internet | SeaMonkey Webbrowser". Enter a URL and see if the Internet site is displayed.

If you want to disconnect the internet-connection press the button "Stop".

A message box opens and you get disconnected. Press the return-key.
    Wireless LAN

To connect your Puppy to a wireless network take the following steps: Step 1

Click on the "connect" icon on your Desktop, then click "Connect to the Internet by network interface"

.....OR.......

Click on Menu / Setup / Network Wizard

If Puppy recognizes your interface, it will be displayed in the upper portion of the box.

Just click the button for your interface and see step 2 below.

If puppy does not see your interface you will have to load the appropriate module with the Load Module button

If you are unsure, click the "more" tab to Auto-probe drivers, or to install a Windows driver.

After you have loaded the correct module for your interface, it will show up in the first box seen above.

Click on it and proceed to step 2

Step 2

Configuring Network Interface

Click the Wireless button

Click Scan ( Or enter the information for your interface if you know it)

Click on your Network from the list that appears . Click Save. Enter your WEP / WPA key if on a secured network.

Then click Use This Profile. Click the Test button to see if Puppy see`s a "live" connection. If it does, then click

Auto DHCP. If successful Puppy will ask you if you want to save the configuration for next boot. Choose yes or no.

Click Done on the box that appears, and you`re all set!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast