Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok...Since I am new to the site let me begin by saying hello to everyone! Thus said, let me directly state the problem I ran into. I bought an Acer ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ubuntu CD won't boot

Ok...Since I am new to the site let me begin by saying hello to everyone!
    Thus said, let me directly state the problem I ran into. I bought an Acer 5742G just the other day and it came with a linpus OS. However, I, myself, being a total newbie at Linux and having heard from here and there about it, decided to get Ubuntu.
    So, I downloaded the Ubuntu 10.10 Desktop .iso file, burned the files from the .iso on a cd, changed the boot priority order to the DVD and booted it. To my suprise, nothing happened. It just started in Linpus and some kind of errors started popping out.
    Any suggestion on how to fix it?

Linux Guru
    An ISO is an "image" of a CD/DVD. You don't put "files" from the ISO onto CD, you put the image itself onto the CD/DVD.

It's likely the CD is not burned correctly and the image is not bootable. You can try it in another machine to confirm.

You can Google for "how to burn iso image."

Just Joined!
    Kay, my bad. Let me check the cd's and get back at you.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    Hello and welcome to the forums!

You can check this HowTo for making sure you downloaded, burned, and booted properly:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ins...ll-cd-dvd.html

Post back if you did all that properly and are still having problems with it.
    oz

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr34m3rr View Post
    Ok...Since I am new to the site let me begin by saying hello to everyone!
    Thus said, let me directly state the problem I ran into. I bought an Acer 5742G just the other day and it came with a linpus OS. However, I, myself, being a total newbie at Linux and having heard from here and there about it, decided to get Ubuntu.
    So, I downloaded the Ubuntu 10.10 Desktop .iso file, burned the files from the .iso on a cd, changed the boot priority order to the DVD and booted it. To my suprise, nothing happened. It just started in Linpus and some kind of errors started popping out.
    Any suggestion on how to fix it?
    have you checked your copy's md5sum?
    P4 1.8, 1G DDR ram, 64mb GF2 MX400, 80G WD and 40G Maxtor, ECS mobo. Playing XP,Slack 12.0 and Vector Linux 5.8 GOLD, STD 6.0 Zenwalk 4.6.1, OpenBSD 3.9

Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you join us.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Just Joined!
    Well to begin with, thanks for the heartly welcome. I managed to install Ubuntu (turned out to be a total lack of concentration, so to say, on my part), but now yet another problem poped-out. I can't seem to configure the internet options.
    Basically, this is what I've done so far...
    1st: Using the sudo gedit /etc/network/interfaces i edited the interfaces file by addi
    ng auto eth0 and inface eth0 inet dhcp.
    2nd:Since the cable was firstly connected to my pc i added this line 'hwaddress ether XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX'
    tried to run it like this, but it couldn't load any page. So I decided to the the following: 'sudo pppoeconf'. I went through the process and tried again...still no result. Any suggestions on this one...
    On a side note: *The internet provider is using the dhcp protocol (sorry if im not using the correct terminology)
    *My Ubuntu version is 10.10 desktop i 386