Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I'm running Debian linux (woody) and I noticed something very odd. I currently have a separate partition for the linux kernel away from the linux root partition. /dev/hda2 is the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

Separate boot partition and /mnt

I'm running Debian linux (woody) and I noticed something very odd. I currently have a separate partition for the linux kernel away from the linux root partition. /dev/hda2 is the boot partition and for some reason, I can view this through /mnt. When I test it with 'umount' it tells me that nothing is mounted. Is this normal?
    The best things in life are free.

Linux Guru
    What do you mean? What happens when you try to mount it? (And do you get anything in the kernel logs?)

Linux Engineer
    Well, I can mount/unmount things through /mnt. What I don't understand is why I the boot partition (/dev/hda2) is accessible through /mnt when nothing is mounted.

Linux Guru
    Oh, then I get it! I read can as can't.
    Anyway, are you sure that those files actually are on the boot partition and not just misplaced files? Try stat'ing one file there and see what device it actually resides on.

Linux Engineer
    What command to I use? stat?
    The only real relevant information that I can give is that I once mounted /dev/hda2 about three months ago. I know I did this because I was configuring GRUB when I discovered that Redhat left a boot partition that I could utilize. I copied my /boot directory from the linux root (/dev/hda4) to the boot partition (/dev/hda2). Again, this was sometime ago since I did this and perhaps I forgot to unmount /mnt. Even so, I believe when you shut a system down, any mounted things get unmounted.

Linux Guru
    Yes, you use the stat command. And no, the kernel does not remember mounts over a reboot.

Linux Engineer
    Dolda,

What am I looking for while using the stat command? My other theory is that I may have copied the boot partition into /mnt. Thinking about that, it seems like that's a possiblity.

Linux Guru
    You're looking for the "Device" entry. it should display 305h/773d or something like that depending on what partition the files are on.

Linux Engineer
    304h/772d is what I get for every file inside /dev/hda4 and since the files under /mnt give that same result, I'm assuming that I can delete those files. I guess I must have somehow copied them there when I was mounting the boot partition.

Linux Guru
    Yeah, you probably did.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast