Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Dolda, I've said Iím not using a USB adapter my nic card is detected and that's as far as I know. Ok yesterday I went out and picked up a, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dolda,

I've said Iím not using a USB adapter my nic card is detected and that's as far as I know. Ok yesterday I went out and picked up a, cross-over cable, KVM switch, Linux RH 9.0 book and another nic card for my win2k machine. So here is the setup I have an onboard nic card in my w2k machine where the LAN is plugged in to and another nic card that is where the cross-over cable is connected to, In my other machine (Linux Box) I have the same exact nic card installed with the cross-over cable plugged in to (the one coming from my w2k machine). Now Iíve bashed my head in trying to get this two machines to talk to each other "NO LUCK" after near 12hours of reading and experimenting I finally gave up and hit the rack. Now my question to you is what exactly do I have to do to get this machines networked, Do I have to do something to my w2k machine so I can issue my Linux box an IP address? Or My Linux box is going to issue my w2k machine an IP address and DNS and all that crap? Also I was reading the book and it says to enter command and sometimes they are in the book like this " ; wins support = yes " or "/sbin/ifconfig -a" when I type that text into the terminal it say command not found or something like that, It's like Iím not entering the command right. How exactly do you enter commands in the terminal "shell". This is more confusing that I thought Iím not giving up hope but I need serious help.

Summary: How to get my w2k machine to network with my Linux box?
    How to enter commands in the shell "Terminal"???

All help will be greatly appreciated...Semper Fidelis

Linux Engineer
    Marine,

How experienced are you with computers? Win2K? Redhat?
    Do you have a router at home? If you have one cable modem, you'll need some type of router if you want to acccess internet connection from both your Redhat and Win2k machines. I happen to have a linksys router and I bought this instead of setting up the linux machine to do all the routing because the cost was cheaper. Now, you can use linux to act as a router but that's going to harder than buying a simple router.
    If you want to communicate between two machines, Dolda can better help you since he has far more knowledge than I. As for the terminal, don't you have an icon at the bottom of the screen with a monitor like icon? Once you click that, you should see the prompt '$'. Mine looks like 'brock@parker $' Once you see the dollar sign (bash shell prompt) it's waiting for an input. There you can type in any valid commands.
    Going back to the setting up your webserver, how badly do you need this? If you aren't at all familiar with linux, I suggest you use win2k's IIS for now and learn linux first. Once you are familiar with linux, then start setting up the apache web server.
    The best things in life are free.

Just Joined!
    no i don't have a router....what i have and my LAN connected to my w2k machine which it has 2 nic cards one for the LAN and the other one with the cross-over cable to the Linux machine.

Linux Guru
    I'm sorry, but I'm pretty sure that you said that you used a USB adapter. Maybe it was just a typo.
    Anyway, in that case. Are you sure that the "/sbin/ifconfig -a" command didn't work? Please note that it should be typed without the quotes, because that really should work.
    If you, by "getting these networked together" are referring to being able to see the Linux box in Windows' network neighborhood, then that's not really the easiest thing to do. Although the network neighborhood seems so built-in to Windows that it seems native to networking itself, that's not the case. It uses a special MS-designed protocol called SMB, and to get Linux to work with that, you need to set up a SMB server. The server program is called Samba, and that's where that "wins support = yes" was referring to. That's a line to be entered in Samba's configuration file. Although, I don't really think that WINS support would be necessary in this configuration. Instead, do this: If you haven't set a good hostname for your Linux system, do that. Check your current hostname with the "hostname" command. If it's something like localhost or localhost.localdomain, you need to set it to something else, or it won't play well in a networked environment. You can set it to something else in the /etc/sysconfig/network file, by adding a line that says "HOSTNAME=something" to the end of that file. If there already is a line beginning with HOSTNAME= in that file, edit that line instead. Then reboot your system.
    After you're done with that, start the SMB server with the command "service smb start". After that's done, you can check your Windows Network neighborhood again. Not that all the commands here need to be run as root. Ie., don't log in as a normal user, but log in as root instead. Editing the /etc/sysconfig/network file also requires that you are logged in as root.

Linux Engineer
    Marine,

So you are using the win2k machine to handle the routing services?

Just Joined!
    ok i went out ang bought a router and a few hours later i got it to work.......now i can see llinux in my win2k computer but when i click on the folders inside my Linux box it says "Network name cannot be found" ???? any clue?

Linux Engineer
    Well, I didn't mean for you to go out and buy a router but... what brand did you get?
    Now you need to install Samba which is a way to share linux and windows on the network for files and printing. Before I even go into these, Redhat docs at http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/ provide numerous information. They are all written pretty easily and I suggest you reading this now or later. The Samba stuff is under custom guide, NO.17. Since I just installed Samba on my machine, most of this is fresh in my memory so I can help you out about this.

Just Joined!
    well i'm trying to install a printer that is on my w2k computer but i can't figure out how to do it....it says i have to add a share??? and select that share while i'm in the instalation process...i'm clueless help

Linux Engineer
    Let's do one thing at a time. As I'm not too experience in the printer area with linux, I'll leave that out for last. First, can you connect to the internet from the linux machine?

Just Joined!
    yes i can i finally was able to....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast