Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Ok everyone where do I start. Well I'm newbie at Linux, everything started last week when I started to look for something to do with my old machine so I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

This might be a hard one...need serious help

Ok everyone where do I start. Well I'm newbie at Linux, everything started last week when I started to look for something to do with my old machine so I decided to download RH Linux 9.0 no pain I installed everything came out fine...I guess...now what I want this machine to do is I want to make this machine a dedicated server for my website here is where the problem comes. I have no clue of how Linux works Iím talking about I don't even know where to start from, so far the only think I can do is log in and get to the desktop other than that everything else looks like "rocket science" to me. I thought about going to a bookstore and pick up a book but I realized I need some serious guidance before I even pick up a book. Can anyone tell me exactly what do I need and is it worth it to make my machine a dedicated server??

All help will be greatly appreciated Iím really motivated to learn how to work this OS Iíve heard is awesome and very stable.

Note: I have Road Runner high speed Internet service and I can't even get that to work

Just Joined!
    i've never really tried to host a webpage from my linux box before, but i believe the most widely used web hosting software is apache. if you have a dynamic IP address i think you'll need a dynamic IP domain routing type service, but i think if you have a static ip (cable internet, some DSLs, other broadbands) you should be able to do your own DNS routing, possibly with apache, im not sure what software you can get for that, as i've never tried.

i would definatly recommend going out an buying an apache book, though.

Linux Guru
    Well, I guess that the first thing to do is get your internet connection to work. What kind of connection is it, and most of all, what kind of modem are you using? Please don't tell me that it's a USB adapter.

Just Joined!
    No Iím using a USB adapter...I have a Cable modem the Road Runner provided me and I guess is a dynamic IP address because the lease it, so it changes everyday I guess...Iím sure is not static...Iíve found a couple of "How to's" in the Internet about setting up Road Runner on a Linux box but I really can't figure out where to start from. Basically I want to make it a dedicated server because I don't want to let that machine sitting there not doing nothing being that I have cable and really don't mind about being online all the time. So what do you suggest I do with the machine, Keep perusing that web site thing or make it do something else???

Linux Guru
    There's nothing wrong with using it as a web server. If your IP address changes frequently, use a dynamically reconfigurable DNS service like cjb.net or no-ip.org do automatically update the IP address to it.
    So help me help you with that internet problem. Where did you find the HOWTO and what do you need help with in it?

Just Joined!
    Ok by far this is the only one I found and maybe Iíll be able to do if I know where to start typing all this commands.... I know I may sound stupid but Iím not I just never even touched a Linux box...I got the link from here http://usmcug.usm.maine.edu/~kpesce/rr/rr_2.0.0.shtml but I can't figure out where to start from.... also I was thinking about using a crossover cable to link my 2 pcs instead of a hub is that a good or bad idea???

Linux Engineer
    Marine,

What the heck is that website? I too am using road runner and since I didn't know much about networking, I was scared setting up the linux machine but all you really need is DHCP client running.
    The best things in life are free.

Just Joined!
    Bpark,

Like i said I am a true noob at this Linux stuff, can you tell me how to have the DHCP running so i can too get online...thanks

Linux Engineer
    Marine,

I know you are a noob at this but I was referring to that website and the amount of information on it. If you have the cable modem itself that plugs into your NIC card, then you need to have DHCP (client) enabled. Since I'm not using Redhat, I don't know exactly what you need but I'll assume that you'll need some rpm package for dhcp. Looking at rpmfind.net, I see dhcp but it seems like it only handles the server and the relay agent. What you need is the client. I believe there's an option to turn check this during installation but I that way would be too much trouble since you already have it installed.
    Looking over that website you posted, road runner may run differently in some parts of the country. He talks about a rr login software that I've never used here in NYC. I do remember logging in to the RR service at the very beginning but as I can recall, that was to set up the mail service.

Dolda, if you can a little help on how to install DHCP client for this fellow.
    The best things in life are free.

Linux Guru
    I'm guessing that there's a slight problem that needs to be overcome first. Marine, you said that you were using a USB adapter, right? That's a problem, since they almost always only come with drivers for Windows.
    Can you open up a console (that would be gnome-console in GNOME and Konsole in KDE), run "/sbin/ifconfig -a" and post the output here, to see if your USB ethernet adapter has been detected at all.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast