Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was looking for a command to log off the user who froze the screen. I logged in as a new user but I got some errors now all I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

command to log off the user who froze the screen

I was looking for a command to log off the user who froze the screen.
    I logged in as a new user but I got some errors now all I see is the color screen, how can I log the new user off (the GUI)?

thanks!

PS I did the above command but nothing came in return?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    By "froze the screen" I assume you mean they locked the GUI? If so, press Ctrl-Alt-F2, login as root, and kill the X server. That will effectively log them out. However, as root, you should be able to unlock the display, and log them out normally, so they don't lose all their unsaved cruft...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    By "froze the screen" I assume you mean they locked the GUI? If so, press Ctrl-Alt-F2, login as root, and kill the X server. That will effectively log them out. However, as root, you should be able to unlock the display, and log them out normally, so they don't lose all their unsaved cruft...

Thank you very much for the reply.
    I did what you said , and actually found the user and killed it. (since the screen was semi frozen , heh I mean some of the commands like ctrl alt L would respond and give some errors but nothing else that I knew of worked)?
    the command I used was
    ps -aux
    then I actually used the pkill command:
    sudo pkill -KILL -u User'sName

Thanks a lot again!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    That'll work also, killing the user (is this a bit of Freudian psychology at work?), though you might want to investigate whether or not that as root you can just log them off. They (the offending user) will generally be less cranky about that.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    That'll work also, killing the user (is this a bit of Freudian psychology at work?), though you might want to investigate whether or not that as root you can just log them off. They (the offending user) will generally be less cranky about that.
    Thanks for bringing that up. You know I somehow created this user in the command line (in the terminal) using useradd and then adduser to 1st create the user then add him up to the admin/root group. I wanted to have a back-door user just in case I also wanted to see if the sound still doesn't work (as it does Not for root)!
    The 1st time I tried to login as that user, the screen froze up! So I must have done something wrong in the terminal or the user I made must have lacked some rights because the error message I got said this user has no right to its home directory, etc, etc, (some similar error msgs).

Now I know when using adduser command you should use many switches that comes with that command or use the GUI to create users , assign home folder, rights etc. to them.
    But I really want to learn the Linux commands via terminal, the GUI stuff is not as powerful and as complete.
    Thanks for your response!
    Regards;

Quote Originally Posted by Matey View Post
    Now I know when using adduser command you should use many switches that comes with that command or use the GUI to create users , assign home folder, rights etc. to them.
    But I really want to learn the Linux commands via terminal
    I use the man pages, if I can't figure it out from the man pages I start looking on forums etc.
    Code:
    man useradd adduser usermod gpasswd
    ... for the user you created check contents of /etc/passwd then check you created a home area for the user and
    Code:
    ls /home -l
    check the user owns the home area

Don't be adverse to reading (studying) man pages. They will give you a lot of insight into what the commands and options are for and doing. Myself, I use them (the command line tools) when necessary, but laziness makes me use the GUI when possible, at least for simple stuff.

Just Joined!

Thumbs up

Thank you Jonathan and Rubberman for your help.
    The man pages are great, I just wished they had more examples in them.

Regards;

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matey View Post
    I was looking for a command to log off the user who froze the screen.
    I logged in as a new user but I got some errors now all I see is the color screen, how can I log the new user off (the GUI)?

thanks!

PS I did the above command but nothing came in return?
    Oh really. I think there are problems in the screen itself. You can try to contact the admin to give you some advice about it.