Find the answer to your Linux question:
hiya people! first off, I'm new to linux. I'm planning to get ADSL in a few weeks, and have 4 pcs all running winXP that i would like to connect. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

using a linux box as a router

hiya people!

first off, I'm new to linux.

I'm planning to get ADSL in a few weeks, and have 4 pcs all running winXP that i would like to connect. I was thinking of converting one to a linux box, and using it as a router which would be placed between a 5 port switch and the ADSL modem.

I would like to have it running as a router, firewall, dhcp server and possibly as an ftp fileserver. I would also like to have a GUI, so that I can use it for other things aswell.

Is this even possible? If so, what software is the best for what I want todo?

Any help would be appreciated.

cheers

Solomon

Just Joined!
    ^^BUMP^^

Linux Guru
    Routing, firewalling and the like is built into the kernel, so except for configuration, that doesn't need any software at all.
    And as we all know, there are tons of open source implementations for different servers, so you can run FTP, DHCP, HTTP, DNS, SMB or virtually anything you'd like. Most of them come with most distros.
    There are "easy to use" firewalling/routing tools, but I recommend against then. You get much more control if you configure your firewall yourself. There are lots of good HOWTOs at netfilter.org.

Just Joined!
    thanks, what would be the best distro to use?

cheers

Solomon

Linux Guru
    Just about any distro would handle it, but if you're new to Linux, I'd suggest RedHat or Mandrake. They're pretty easy to use. Just be sure to use a recent version so that you get a 2.4 kernel.