Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
It has been a while, since I started to try linux, but gave it up because of hardware support issues. Now here I am again, and want to give it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Which Version

It has been a while, since I started to try linux, but gave it up because of hardware support issues. Now here I am again, and want to give it another try.. I'm real tired of windows, and wish to once again give linux another try. But I want one that will support my hardware. I have 4 hard drives so one will be used for my experiment Here is a list of my primary hardware that I'm more concerned about.. Thanks in advance..

DFI Lanparty UT NF4 Sli D
    XFX Geforce 9800 GTX+
    Linksys WUSB300N
    AMD Athlon 4800+

Just Joined!
    Try Mint Linux

Just Joined!
    Ok but already a problem, after installation, when booting up it loads windows. How do I get my computer go give me the option of loading into mint..

Linux Guru
    You have 4 HDD's...

One of them is the drive that the BIOS is going to try and boot from first. This may/may not be the drive you installed Mint on. At the end of the Mint install, you need to install Grub to the correct HDD that the system will be booting from. Mint will usually default to /dev/sda which may not be correct.

Just Joined!
    What do you mean install grub on the HD the system will be booting from. I'm new so I must not be understanding something.. I have 4hd yes, two sata, and two IDE. I have Windows on one SATA and Mint on one IDE. So are you saying I have to install grub on the SATA??

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    One of your drives (probably the one with Windows on but maybe not) is the drive that automatically boots. To get the the choice of which operating system to start you need to have a bootloader that recognises both Windows and Linux on that drive.

Grub is such a bootloader. The Mint installer will set up Grub for you but if you are not installing Mint on the default drive (ie the one that is automatically booted), you will have to tell Mint on which drive to install it.

Please boot the Mint Live CD and post the output of the following command, which should be run in the terminal.
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    and will show a list of disks and partitions.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Just Joined!
    Thanks for that I will try it tommorow morning when I get home from work, and post back what happen, on my next day off..

Just Joined!
    Ok now that I have Mint installed, the question I have is. How to I get my wireless router to work.. It is a linksys WUSB300N. I will say I'm surprised that for such a old piece of hardware, linux still hasn't any drivers for it..

Linux Guru
    I would expect that your "wireless router" is working fine.

As for your wireless NIC, it may have one of several different chipsets in it. You can start here to identify the chipset.

I will say I'm surprised that for such a old piece of hardware, linux still hasn't any drivers for it.
    That would likely be because you don't understand that *hardware manufacturers* have limited-to-none support for Linux and that the community writes drivers themselves - many times through reverse-engineering. When dealing with wireless NIC's, a large portion of the "driver" is in the firmware of the device which is not always released by the manufacturer.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Mint has a Windows Driver Installation tool which is under the Administration menu. I've never had to use it so I can't help there.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast