Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone, My new job requires me to learn as much as I can about the in's and out's of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.0. What is the best way ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

RHEL 5.0 free alternative

Hello everyone,

My new job requires me to learn as much as I can about the in's and out's of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.0.

What is the best way to familiarize myself with the functionality of this OS?

Are there any free alternatives to it?

Is CentOS similar?

Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Thanks

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello and welcome aboard!

You can take a look at CentOS and Scientific to see if either of them might work for you as a free alternative.
    oz

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    As Ozar said, check out CentOS and Scientific Linux. They are both free clones of RHEL, in that they are totally binary compatible, built from the same sources as RHEL, but without the copyrighted graphics from Red Hat. I used to use CentOS 5, but now I am using SL6 as CentOS has not yet got around to releasing version 6. Scientific Linux is maintained by some of the most prestigious physics laboratories in the world, such as Fermi National Lab and Argonne National Lab in Illinois, and CERN in Europe. It is used to run many of the systems in major research laboratories all over the world.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!